FORUMS: list search recent posts

matrox parhelia vs others

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
queeniedog
matrox parhelia vs others
on May 26, 2005 at 3:32:06 pm

The Parhelia card has been around for about 3 years. Is it still viable for use with my RTx100 or are there others, like ATI 9800 Pro that are more "current"? The latter has been tested by Matrox, but is a lot cheaper than the Parhelia. I want a high-quality, dual-display card for my NLE system.

One of the recommended Matrox cards is the G450 but this can hardly be considered a "high-performer" with only 32Mb on board, can it? In terms of video editing, or use with the RTx100 is there a difference between the Parhelia and the G450?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: matrox parhelia vs others
on May 26, 2005 at 3:46:13 pm

with an RTX100 you will get great results with Parhelia or the G550/650/750 graphics cards.

Gary

Return to posts index

queeniedog
on May 26, 2005 at 3:54:22 pm

So, if you were me, which would you buy? Why spend $500 on a Parhelia if a $200 G650 will do?

Return to posts index

TantusGuy
on Jun 1, 2005 at 3:17:52 am

If you need 3 LCD's or CRT's, then the Parhelia is your card. If not, you can get better performance (IMO) from a card at a lower price point. For me the Parhelia has always been overpriced for what it is.

Return to posts index

queeniedog
on Jun 3, 2005 at 4:05:54 pm

Thanks, that's all I needed to hear.

Return to posts index

TantusGuy
on Jun 3, 2005 at 4:32:25 pm

Whatever you decide make sure to check the Matrox RT.X100 web page for approved cards.

Return to posts index

Terry Stetler
on Jul 10, 2005 at 1:04:56 am

You can get the multi-display capabilities of the Parhelia in a cheaper model: the Matrox P-750.

The P-750 has the same triplehead abilities as the Parhelia, meaning you can run dual-VGA/DVI plus a feature display (a third monitor or a PureVideo/DVDMAX TVout)

The P-650 limits you to only 2 displays: one VGA/DVI and a feature display (VGA/DVI or PureVideo/DVDMAX).

YES...both the RT.X100 and a P cards TVout can be used in the same rig. I do it every day. This lets me prep something in another program with a TVout while the RT.X100 project is in the background without having to disconnect anything. As long as DirectShow output isn't enabled for the RT.X100's TVout (it's a toolbar control) they play nicely together.

I'd go for P model over a G model if the quality of the TVout feature is important to you (and why wouldn't it be?) because the P cards PureVideo/DVDMAX is calculated at 10 bits internally vs. 8 bits for the G cards plus it has more control over source/display aspect ratios etc. etc.

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
on Jul 11, 2005 at 4:33:57 pm

I have a hard time recommending Matrox video cards in general.. The TV outputs themselves are just really not worth the effort as this is a pretty basic thing and available with any video card (albeit not with the WYSIWYG plugins from Matrox cards - but that is what editing hardware is for)

I think Matrox cards, especially the new PCIe Parhelia, are useful if you don't want to go with any hardware for outputs. The new PCIe card actually gives WYSIWYG support for HD out... something that is a godsend for Adobe because what other option do you have?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]