FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID vs Firewire 800 ext HD

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duke
RAID vs Firewire 800 ext HD
by
on May 26, 2005 at 2:33:36 am

I'm planning on using Videoguys DIY II as the base for my new video editing set-up.
But I'd prefer to use a pair of external firewire 800 HDs (the LaCie 500GB externals) over a RAID setup.
Is there a reason not to go external with firewire?
Is it slower, less responsive?
I will be running Vegas, ProTools, Reason, Ableton Live, AfterEffects, etc.

Appreciatively,

RC

Return to posts index

TantusGuy
Re: RAID vs Firewire 800 ext HD
on May 26, 2005 at 4:28:32 am

External firewire drives are going to behave like any other drive in your system. A RAID array is a configuration of disks where the data is basically either mirrored or striped.

RAID 0 is an example of a striped set. If you have two disks in RAID 0 then your system sees both as one larger disk and the data is written across (striped) both disks. RAID 0 is used for performance, speeding up disk reads. RAID 0 is usually available with motherboards with SATA.

RAID 1 would be a basic mirrored configuration where the data is written to one disk and then copied (mirrored) to the second disk. RAID 1 is used for redundancy but not performance. RAID 1 is usually available on motherboards with SATA.

RAID 5 is the most widely used when performance, redundancy and fail over are needed. RAID 5 requires 4 disks and a controller card.

There are several different RAID levels including combinations such as 10 but 0, 1, and 5 would really be the only ones used in this application.

Using a typical pc case and a motherboard that supports SATA RAID, most users can at least implement RAID 0 or 1. Some motherboards will support RAID 5 out of the box but this usually requires a larger enclosure. If your system board won't support RAID 5 or you want to have a separate system disk, then you'll need an additional controller card. External RAID enclosures are available but more expensive. But using 4+ disks in your workstation will also require additional cooling (fans).

External firewire is convenient for portability. Since they appear as simple drives, you can disconnect a firewire drive from one pc and plug it into another. If your motherboard does not support firewire, you'll need to get a firewire 800 card.

Having said all that, again it really comes down to what you want to do and how much you can afford. I will say that RAID 0 again is widely used for its performance boost.

Hopefully I've been able to help you little and not confused you anymore.

Return to posts index

Styrbjorn
on May 26, 2005 at 3:31:30 pm

Tantus Guy,
So if I were to get a laptop, could a pair of external firewire drives be used in a Raid O set up? Do I need more than 1 firewire port?
Are there any bottle necking issues that I should be aware of when looking for an appropriate laptop?
Thanks!
Styrbjorn

Return to posts index

TantusGuy
on May 26, 2005 at 5:26:16 pm

You can find external firewire drives that do RAID 0 that will do about 80MBs throughput. However, these enclosures usually utilize a different chip on the RAID controller than you would typically find. It's our opinion that these are not usually optimal for video editing. You're probably better off with just a regular firewire drive(s).

The best external RAID solution is direct attached storage (DAS). The enclosure would utilize a SCSI connection with SCSI drives or a SCSI connection with a SATA subsystem allowing you to use less expensive Serial ATA drives. There is a significant cost difference betwee external firewire and DAS. Additionally, you would need a SCSI card in your workstation to connect to the DAS. Obviously, this isn't feasible with a laptop.

With your laptop, firewire makes the most sense. You'll get the capacity you need and really shouldn't have a problem with performance. You'll want to check with your laptop's manufacterer to see if your laptop supports firewire 400 or 800.

Since you're not using a RAID array, you can use any combination of disk capacity. For example, you can have a 200GB drive and a 300GB together. Or, depending on what you're doing, you may not even need that much in which case a 2 disk enclosure with (2) 160GB drives is incredibly affordable. So you can see that there's a lot of flexibilty with this type of setup.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]