FORUMS: list search recent posts

HP nw8240

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Styrbjorn
HP nw8240
on May 25, 2005 at 9:42:40 pm

I need help/recommedations for laptops to do DV editing. One that I have researched is the HP Compaq Mobile Workstation nw8240, which seems to be similar to a desktop recommended by Videoguys, but I don't know enough about the differences. Like the M processor. Is that comparable to a hyper threading P4? I am also having difficulty finding this laptop with WIN XP PRO. Any technical reasons you know of?

Would this laptop have any potential problems with long format videos?

Check out the specs here:
http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/HP_SMART_BUY_NW8240_PM_18G_512MB_80GB...

Thanks for your help!
Styrbjorn
PS: Love this site!

Return to posts index

SuperG
Re: HP nw8240
on May 25, 2005 at 10:18:29 pm

I can't answer much on video editing but I have the following to offer:

We just bought a nx9600 workstation replacement and not only is it fargin huge, it eats batteries faster than you can eat your breakfast. Well, OK, not that bad, but I get 1 to 1.25 hours out of a battery.

The Mobile processors are designed to have a low power mode to extend battery life, but if you are video editing there isn't going to be any 'low usage' time in your future.

Build yourself one of the DIY machines inexpensively and get a laptop that is cheaper and lets you wander without selling body parts.

JM2C

Return to posts index

Styrbjorn
on May 26, 2005 at 12:07:11 am

I will get a desktop in a year or two. Right now I have 3 locations that I will need to work at, and I won't be using batteries. I need a laptop that will work well and allow me to focus on editing (as well as compositing and other things) and later, once my experience is better, I will get a better desktop (I know the desktops will be better then too) and use the laptop for supplimental work. That's the plan at least.

What do you use your nx9600 for if not editing?
Thanks
Styrbjorn

Return to posts index

SuperG
on May 26, 2005 at 3:25:35 am

3D building design in AutoCad. We design all the electrical, plumbing, fire protection and hvac in 3D using Building Systems from Autodesk.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]