FORUMS: list search recent posts

PCI-e video card recommendations

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SuperG
PCI-e video card recommendations
on May 25, 2005 at 3:38:14 am

Hi all, sorry I found this site about 6 purchases too late.....

I don't know what software the user will use in the end, but it is likely to be Studio 9 or Ulead 8. What do you reccomend for a pci-e video card? I forsee them using either a Plextor Convert X or a Pinnacle Movie Box Deluxe set up. They may be swayed to something else, but the intent is really for home movie fun, not a profession.

Here are the other specs:

Asus P5GDC-V Deluxe (hard to beat for the price, almost $80 less than the AD2)
P4 Prescott 3.2
2 GB PC3200 Corsair
Lite-On SOHW-1673S
Antec Sonata Case (stays cool believe it or not!)
Upgrading the power supply to 550W Antec True Power II
Seagate Barracuda 250 GB SATA150 drive (7200 RPM)

I really appreciate any input. Thanks.

Return to posts index

DMoney
Re: PCI-e video card recommendations
on May 25, 2005 at 4:39:50 am

the 6600GT is a fine card that should be within your budget. It beats the more expensive 9800XT. This card is considered the best bang for your buck.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122208

Leadtek is a good reliable company...there ya go

Return to posts index

SuperG
on May 25, 2005 at 5:21:40 am

Forgive me, as I'm new, but how did you pick that card? In one post I see "Buy a $300 PNY Quadro FX card", and in the next I see nodding approval of an $60 ATI X300 SE....I mean really its mind spinning to figure out which way you guys are trying to go sometimes.

I see ATI is recommended (as long as its not a AIW) but then I see the push for Quadro cards too..........AY Caramba!

I saw an ABit X300 SE that supports Open GL 2.0....I'd prefer to stay with the big players....BFG, Leadtek, Matrox, ATI, etc.......

Return to posts index

DMoney
on May 25, 2005 at 5:57:10 am

the x300SE is an extremely low end card and I would rarely reccomend such a card. There are motherboards with integrated graphics that excel past that card. THe PNY Quadro FX card is intended for good open GL support.

Now with this said...The 6600GT is a good midrange card that isn't too high end and isn't too low end. It will support many programs for a couple more years. The X300 will not. Quadro based cards tend to be more expensive and are specifically designed for intense video editing. With the programs you showed interest in I see no reason why you'd need to spend the extra money on a card that you will likely see no difference in.

with the comment "...but the intent is really for home movie fun, not a profession." shows to me that maybe you might plan on doing other things and that is another reason why I reccomend the 6600GT.

I hope this helps!

Danny

Return to posts index

SuperG
on May 25, 2005 at 2:05:52 pm

It does help some, Thank you.

The people won't be playing ay games, just photo and video editing. But the video editing is meant for home movies. I only meant to clarify that this wasn't a situation where this was the persons passion in life nor are they using this for Wedding editing for a living. They simply want to take some home movies and make DVD's out of them. I'm sure they'll toy with whatever effects they are provided with, but they aren't going to spend $1200 on a video editing package either.

I also would never spec a x300 SE knowingly, but when I saw video guy say it was just fine in a post I was tossed for a serious loop. There will be NO 3d gaming or really any gaming beyond maybe solitaire. The MB has Intel 900 Graphics integrated, and I'm REALLY hoping asus put a switch in the bios to shut that down.

I'll spend the $300 on a Quadro card if it won't cause any conflicts down the road. I'd rather they have the flexability to go where they want with this than pigeon hole them. I had bought an AIW X800XT, but that's AGP only and I wasn't convinced it was the best card for video work.

I'll look at the cards you mentioned, Thank you. Any other suggestions are still welcome!

Return to posts index

SuperG
on May 25, 2005 at 7:22:22 pm

Any feedback on this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814122203

I know its not DDR3, but its not to be a gamer, so I don't know how much speed is going to benefit me.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]