FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture Advice

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wayl0n
Capture Advice
on May 24, 2005 at 3:22:39 pm

I've been getting several requests for home movie conversions to DVD. Currently I have an older system and an ADVC100 which provides excellent results, but due to the number of requests, I'd like to upgrade to some better equipment. I'm planning on building the "Big Blue" mentioned on this site, but I cannot seem to decide on capture device, due mostly to several questions I had. I'm leaning heavily towards the rt.x100 due to the reviews, but still am unclear on a few things:

Realtime mpeg2 encoding sounds very very nice, but I've heard several reputable people say that realtime mpeg2 (even on the rt.x100) encoding is not as good as raw video converted to mpeg. Is this true? I realize that realtime mpeg can look very good, almost indistinguishable, but doing peoples home vidoes, along with several of my own, I would like these to look as good as possible. So if the realtime mpeg isnt giving me as good of quality, I would rarely use it for realtime mpeg....so would the rt.x100 still be worth getting?

Also, most capture cards for NTSC use 4:1:1....should I be looking for a 4:2:2 capture card for slightly better color accuracy/saturation? If so do you have recommendations on any?

For the Big Blue system, since I will have a dedicated capture card installed, would it still be advantageous to use the Quadro for the vid card, or would a card like the rt.x100 handle most of the openGL?

And last question....although the rt.x100 sounds nice, I'm a little skeptical about the Adobe suite. I know it's pretty much industry standard among hobbyists and pro-sumers, but I've been using Vegas and DVD-Lab all along, and from what I hear, the adobe products, particularly Encore, are still very buggy......but the rt.x100 integrates so well into these, that it might be worth the learning curve and bug issues. Advice?

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
Re: Capture Advice
on May 25, 2005 at 8:03:37 pm

wayl0n: Realtime mpeg2 encoding sounds very very nice, but I've heard several reputable people say that realtime mpeg2 (even on the rt.x100) encoding is not as good as raw video converted to mpeg. Is this true? I realize that realtime mpeg can look very good, almost indistinguishable, but doing peoples home vidoes, along with several of my own, I would like these to look as good as possible. So if the realtime mpeg isnt giving me as good of quality, I would rarely use it for realtime mpeg....so would the rt.x100 still be worth getting?

Also, most capture cards for NTSC use 4:1:1....should I be looking for a 4:2:2 capture card for slightly better color accuracy/saturation? If so do you have recommendations on any?

For the Big Blue system, since I will have a dedicated capture card installed, would it still be advantageous to use the Quadro for the vid card, or would a card like the rt.x100 handle most of the openGL?

And last question....although the rt.x100 sounds nice, I'm a little skeptical about the Adobe suite. I know it's pretty much industry standard among hobbyists and pro-sumers, but I've been using Vegas and DVD-Lab all along, and from what I hear, the adobe products, particularly Encore, are still very buggy......but the rt.x100 integrates so well into these, that it might be worth the learning curve and bug issues. Advice?

The MPEG2 with the RTX100 is actually very good. If you keep your project short, and use a high bit rate it will look fine. The longer the video is, the lower the bit rate, the worse it looks.

Go with one of the Quadro cards for the best success.

The Sony Vegas6+DVD software is really good. I highly recommend it. I usually only recommend the RTX100 to people who want to use Adobe Premiere or want the realtime MPEG2 capability.

Jon

Return to posts index

wayl0n
on May 25, 2005 at 11:32:24 pm

if you only recommend the rtx100 to people wishing to use adobe....is there a capture device you would prefer over it for use with Vegas and DVD-Lab?

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
on May 26, 2005 at 1:15:49 pm

unfortunately there is no capture card that works with the Vegas6+DVD software. All you can do is use a basic firewire card (http://videoguys.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=API311) and an analog to DV converter if you need to capture/output analog video. Feel free to call me at 800-323-2325 x120 if you have any questions.

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]