FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Xpress Pro

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sexykorean
Avid Xpress Pro
on May 23, 2005 at 5:23:12 am

I recently acquiered an Avid Xpress Pro software and I'm planning to use it for my corporate video project but being an old school video person, I'm not sure what computer hardware I need for such a powerful tool...
I noticed the Avid software usually comes with Mojo which is a breakout box so would I also have to purchase one?
What is the difference in performance with or without the Mojo?
Also can anyone recommend me a suitable computer hardware spec for my Avid Xpress software for a corporate video project please???
Much appreciated, Thank you!

Return to posts index

TantusGuy
Re: Avid Xpress Pro
on May 25, 2005 at 2:53:14 am

The Mojo isn't necessary to effectively run Xpress Pro BUT it does offer a number of benefits, depending on what you want to accomplish. At its most basic it enables you to do real-time video and effects. However, "unlike other NLE add-on hardware, lets you capture audio or video while also providing output of the same source. Its real-time DV and analog I/O ports deliver simultaneous output to both client monitor and tape, real-time SD display of downconverted HD , and optional uncompressed SD over component analog."

Key Features (from Avid's site):
# DV, S-Video, composite, and optional component (4:2:2) input and output
# Simultaneous output of accelerated video and effects to both client monitor and tape
# Hardware DV codec frees host computer for additional processing - no matter what your computer's real-time performance, Mojo makes it better
# Hardware scaling of draft resolutions provides unsurpassed performance with uncompromised image quality
# Add uncompressed graphics and animations to DV25 projects in real time, without re-rendering to lower quality format
# Single-cable FireWire connection to laptop and desktop computers
# Bi-directional signal flow for monitoring during capture

Its hardware DV decompressor means that more cycles are available to your computer for other tasks, such as effects processing. That means more real-time effects output and more real-time video streams, simultaneously output to both a broadcast monitor and to tape. Mojo's hardware decoder also scales up draft resolution video for display on a broadcast monitor.

It also allows you to display HD content on and SD monitor.

So whethe or not you actually need it is really dependent on what you wish to do both now and in the future.

As far as system specs:
We usually recommend a dual Xeon 3.2 or 3.4
2GB RAM (depending on your budget and use, could get by with 1GB)
(1) 36GB 10K rpm Western Digital Raptor System drive
(2) 300GB 7200 rpm SATA drives in RAID 0 array. But if you need capacity, performance, redundancy and fault tolerance, depending on your budget, a 4 disk RAID 5 array would be ideal.
(1) 120GB 7200 rpm SATA Export drive (optional if your really not doing much in the way of audio).
nVidia Quadro FX 500 video card
DVD burner (dual layer DVD RW)

None of this is carved into stone but this is an appropriate configuration.

Return to posts index

sexykorean
Thank you for your reply tantusguy, very helpful!
on May 25, 2005 at 11:27:49 am

Your answer has been most enlightening, while I still have just one more lingering doubt in my mind..
Does this mean that using firewire direct from my DV Camera to my computer's firewire input the only means of digitising my materials if I dont have a breakout box when using my Avid Xpress Pro?

Return to posts index

TantusGuy
Re: Avid Xpress Pro
on May 25, 2005 at 8:16:27 pm

Check you PM...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]