FORUMS: list search recent posts

Disks that skip/get stuck while playng on DVD

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Louise
Disks that skip/get stuck while playng on DVD
on May 20, 2005 at 8:05:32 pm

Hi. Using Ulead software and doing well. Have completed two DVDS but when playing one of them on Sony DVD player it kept sticking/playing slowly. Played ok on a non brand player but got stuck then after playing in the Sony. Any help. Used DVD-R on both projects one works fine and have had no problems but the second just won't play. Feel not much point in going to all the trouble to make them if they won't play!!! Confused : Confused :

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Disks that skip/get stuck while playng on DVD
on May 21, 2005 at 12:22:40 am

1. Never stick a label on a DVD. It creates balance problems.

2. Some DVD players don't like variable bitrate (VBR) encoding on a DVD+-R. Try encoding it as constant bitrate (CBR).

3. Never encode at a higher rate than 7 Mb/sec CBR. At a higher rate, you'll occasionally exceed the 9.8 Mb/sec DVD spec limit, causing the DVD player to choke.

Return to posts index

Louise
Thanks John.
on May 23, 2005 at 7:45:05 pm

Since posting my question I took some advice from this site and played the project on screen before buring it and it has the same problems. Slow moving images and pausing. Tried recapturing it and I could see it moving like slow motion (if I was watching an image say a shoe you can see the pixels drag). Very new to this so played around with the settings but couldn't get it any different. Capturing in DVD Pal using Firewire from mini Dv Camera with Ulead software. Any ideas??

Return to posts index

John Q
on May 24, 2005 at 3:56:12 am

Do you have a dedicated 7200 rpm hard drive on a different port from your boot drive to use as your video capture drive?

What hardware/software are using to capture your video?

After editing, what software is used to transcode the video for DVD authoring?

What software are you using to do your DVD authoring?

Return to posts index

Louise
on May 25, 2005 at 10:36:08 pm

No dont have a dedicated hard drive.

Using Ulead VideoStudio 8. It captures, edits and makes movie. Using JVC Gr-DX55 DV camera with firewire

Have checked everything. It was working perfectly. Checked the camera on the TV and it plays ok. Checked another JVC camera on the computer and it captured ok. Tried a different tape and its bad aswell.

Checked the speeds and changed to CVR (your last message) but still no joy.

I'm lost now as the camera plays ok by itself and the computer captures ok from another camera!!!

Return to posts index

John Q
on May 26, 2005 at 3:02:29 am

To avoid dropping frames, you should have a dedicated video hard drive.

It sounds like a capture problem related directly to your camcorder. If you used the same cable with two different camcorders and one worked, then it's a problem with your camcorder.

When you hook up your camcorder, I assume that Windows recognizes it as an Imaging Device, identifying the camcorder in device manager. If not, then you need updated Windows drivers.

I'm using Windows XP Pro, as it provides native support for firewire devices like a camcorder, and NTFS disc formatting for the large DV files.

Return to posts index

Louise
Hi John
on Jun 3, 2005 at 8:24:26 pm

Getting dedicated hard drive sorted this week. Played the disk again and it worked. The lines I was worried about when capturing are normal (just the resolution on the computer) so thats one less thing to worry about. The disk freezes and then stops while playing in a philips DVD player (but plays ok in 2 non branded players before the philips but skips after playing in the philips, but plays ok if you leave it for a while) so I think I'll just have to put it down to the player. What you think?

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jun 4, 2005 at 5:52:01 pm

Then the final issue is media quality, which unfortunately varies widely. I've standardized on Ritek, the OEM that makes a lot of the name brand media.

Try a different brand of media and see what happens.

Return to posts index

CrazyChad
dvd-r dvd+r won't play DVD play digital video editing forums
on Dec 29, 2005 at 2:13:40 am

John Q: 1. Never stick a label on a DVD. It creates balance problems.

I never have a problem with that as long as you dont use business
rectangle or name-badge or non-circle with/without uneven center hole sticker/labels. If you must label the CD/DVD, then get a combo package of CD/DVD Labeling.

2. Some DVD players don't like variable bitrate (VBR) encoding on a DVD+-R. Try encoding it as constant bitrate (CBR).

I have not try this CBR trick a try because my customer's and her 5 relatives's did not works on either DVD-R or DVD+R but it works for me, my families's dvd players. (mostly used with DVD+R and few DVD-R). I will get back to this forum with answers after I test with CBR trick.

3. Never encode at a higher rate than 7 Mb/sec CBR. At a higher rate, you'll occasionally exceed the 9.8 Mb/sec DVD spec limit, causing the DVD player to choke.

Noted that, and thank you for "never encode ...".

At last, thanks to google.com "digital video editing forums dvd-r dvd+r won't play DVD player" find this solution for me ". Keep posting the latest news about labeling, VBR, CBR, DVD-R, DVD+R, encoding etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]