FORUMS: list search recent posts

Processor Importance

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Taylor
Processor Importance
on May 19, 2005 at 1:21:31 am

I'm trying to decide on what processors I need to get. I plan on using Adobe Premiere Pro. Now I understand the importance of dual processors since if I ever upgrade to HDV, then my computer would be able to handle it, but performance wise, would it be better to get dual Xeon processors or dual P4 processors?

Also, is it important that I get a 64-bit processor? Will there be any advantage in getting 64-bit processors?

Return to posts index

ashVID
Re: Processor Importance
on May 19, 2005 at 6:01:38 pm

If money is no option, wait a month and get dual, dual-core opterons.... I am an intel guy but it looks like AMD has taken intel to the woodshed on this one. Check out Boxtech from some killer systems.

ash =o)

Return to posts index

Taylor
on May 19, 2005 at 11:51:39 pm

Thanks Ash. Can I get a Video Guy's opinion?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on May 20, 2005 at 5:58:16 pm

Dual core is more than a month away, and dual dual core may be a bit longer. While dual cores may become available this summer, we think it's going to take a few months before they we can give them a broad recommendation. We want to have the chance to experiment with and tweak the 64 bit OS, and we need to make sure the drivers are their for our products.

That said, there is definitley a dual core in our future (DIY4) and we thinkt hat come year end, it will be our top recommendation.

Gary

Return to posts index

Taylor
on May 20, 2005 at 10:50:34 pm

But if I was going to buy it now, what would you recommend? Dual Xeon or dual p4? And why?

Return to posts index

DMoney
on May 21, 2005 at 12:21:11 am

If I were to buy right now I would buy the Dual Xeon, only because the dual processing is a technology that has been around for a while, but keep in mind that this is only with right now. If you wait a few months you might be able to get a hold of a dualcore processor, that is if you want the latest technology.

So right now = Dual Xeon (Good technology and fantastic results)

Later= Pentium Dual Core (Again good technology, but will likely need refinement)

Go Dual Xeon man

Very Happy

Return to posts index

John Q
on May 21, 2005 at 12:30:41 am

Initial test results for a dualcore hyperthreading P4 show that current encoding software actually is slower with HT enabled. The dualcore is slightly faster (with HT off) than a P4 with HT on. The surprise was that hyperthreading actually worsened encoding performance on the dualcore.

This may change once applications are rewritten to take advantage of the extra cores.

Currently, if you're doing standard video editing, a HT P4 seems to be the most cost effective solution. If you're really into compositing, like After Effects, then go with a dual HT Xeon. I believe Avid also recommends a dual Xeon.

So, your decision is what video work are you planning to do, and what applications are you planning to use. Then go to the vendor's websites and see what they recommend.

Return to posts index

DMoney
on May 21, 2005 at 3:46:58 am

John Q: Initial test results for a dualcore hyperthreading P4 show that current encoding software actually is slower with HT enabled. The dualcore is slightly faster (with HT off) than a P4 with HT on. The surprise was that hyperthreading actually worsened encoding performance on the dualcore.

This may change once applications are rewritten to take advantage of the extra cores.

Currently, if you're doing standard video editing, a HT P4 seems to be the most cost effective solution. If you're really into compositing, like After Effects, then go with a dual HT Xeon. I believe Avid also recommends a dual Xeon.

So, your decision is what video work are you planning to do, and what applications are you planning to use. Then go to the vendor's websites and see what they recommend.

Quoted for good info. I honestly have not seen the P4 Dualcore benchmarks, but I do know that the Athlon Dualcore accelerates above all. Only if AMD chipsets were more intended for video like Intel then I would totally be all over it.

Return to posts index

John Q
on May 22, 2005 at 12:44:10 am

Rereading your initial message, I see you're interested in HDV. If you're concerned about HDV, then the best solution right now is dual Xeon.

Research the different HDV vendor websites to see their system recommendations.

Personally, I'm waiting on HDV until there's a practical method to distribute HDV, like HD-DVDs. I expect that will take another two years. One year to get the HD-DVD standards finalized, and another year for the video editing manufacturers to create workable hardware assisted editing systems.

Return to posts index

Taylor
on May 22, 2005 at 4:55:22 pm

John Q: Rereading your initial message, I see you're interested in HDV. If you're concerned about HDV, then the best solution right now is dual Xeon.

Research the different HDV vendor websites to see their system recommendations.

Personally, I'm waiting on HDV until there's a practical method to distribute HDV, like HD-DVDs. I expect that will take another two years. One year to get the HD-DVD standards finalized, and another year for the video editing manufacturers to create workable hardware assisted editing systems.

Yes, I was hoping that I'd get good dual processors now, so when that HD medium war settles, then I can be assured that I won't have any problems as far as that the processors wouldn't be able to handle the work.

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
on May 24, 2005 at 3:54:40 pm

Dual Xeon right now. Here's why:

Opteron/Athlon64 do not do well with any video hardware. It's unfortunate, because we love opteron and they rock for 3D apps.

Dual-core - You're looking at high prices up front (for chips and the newer boards), and it's too new. With specialty apps like video editing, you NEED to wait until the manufacturer can validate hardware. If you don't and it doesn't work, then what? They won't help you!

Go Dual Processor if you're doing anything besides just basic editing DV. You need the muscle for advanced apps, especially when you are using more than one at the same time. That's why it's so crucial for people using the entire Video Collection at the same time, or Avid Studio. The fact is is that all that interoperability needs some help.

You mentioned HDV - it is far more intense, especially with Canopus NX, than I think people realize. It looks so good, though. Dual processors are essential.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]