FORUMS: list search recent posts

Storage Setup

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Taylor
Storage Setup
on May 18, 2005 at 11:16:58 pm

I'm trying to figure the best hard drive storage setup for an editing system. So I have the option of using internal SATA hard drives, but what if I run out of room in the casing if I want to add more hard drive storage?

Another option is to use an external SATA drive system. If I use a Firewire interface external hard drive system, then I know that I should get another Firewire card for that, but which setup would offer the best performance?

Is there a way that I could mix both of the system together seamlessly? In other words, could I start out with internal SATA drives and then if it gets too full, add an external drive system without any problems?

Also, is there any other way of setting up an external hard drive system besides using a Firewire interface or SCSI?

Return to posts index

Taylor
Re: Storage Setup
on May 20, 2005 at 10:59:02 pm

Can any VideoGuy help me?

Return to posts index

DMoney
on May 21, 2005 at 12:16:20 am

Now I am fairly new to this but I can give you some insight...

Yes, you can start out with internal SATA harddrives and then when you find that your spare room is becoming scarce you can buy an external harddrive (the G-Raid for example) and simply hook it up for extra storage. A system like that is pretty common especially among laptop users and of course video editors. External storage obviously gives you the ability to take your files anywhere with a firewire port or USB2 port.

I believe a second firewire card for such a situation would probably be the best thing as well.

I hope all this helped

Danny

Return to posts index

Taylor
on May 22, 2005 at 4:47:14 pm

Thank you very much Danny.

If I went to an external Firewire hard drive system like the G-Raid, would there be any type of issues or problems that I'd run into if I went external with the G-Raid after the space in the casing was full of internal hard drives?

Return to posts index

DMoney
on May 22, 2005 at 6:33:27 pm

you might be dealing with issues if you have a case full of harddrives. Make sure you have proper cooling.

I don't think you will have any sort of system error if you have full internal harddrives then you just use an external. Keep in mind that most harddrives don't run as well when they are at full capacity.

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
on May 24, 2005 at 3:39:24 pm

I think your issue is that you know that you are going to run out of space, and you need a way to plan for that.

First thing : Buy large drives to begin with. Spend the extra money up front, and you will save money in the long run (as well as frustration).

Second thing : The only reason to consider external storage is because 1) you CAN'T physically fit it in your tower and/or 2) you NEED it to be portable.

Second thing : Buy a storage system that can grow. There are ways to do this internally with swappable hard drive cages, etc. OR, externally, you can purchase an 8 bay firewire chassis that you can add to as you go. We have chasses that you can mount anything from hard drives to optical drives to swappable bays in. A better choice for video is a SCSI array externally(using SATA drives) - you get much better performance and features than a Firewire system, but of course it's more expensive.

Here's my solution for someone buying a new system:
We have a model of workstation that uses our LARGE chassis - it holds up to 12 drives in it's hard drive area in the case. Put a 12 drive controller card into the system, initially, and as you grow, you can add hard drives to the controller in an ever increasing RAID 5 array, on the fly. RAID 5 will also give you help with redundancy, etc. This gives you the performance and features of the external SCSI system (using SATA drives), but internally, and cheaper.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]