FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting DVD-Ram to CD-R

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wizzer
Converting DVD-Ram to CD-R
on May 13, 2005 at 9:45:48 pm

Hello,

I hope that someone can help me out here. I am having problems making video CD's to play in my DVD player.

I just purchased a Hitachi DVDCAM that records in DVD-RAM and DVD-R formats. After playing around with it using the DVD-RAM, I attempted to put the video onto a CD-R (I don't have a DVD burner).

Using the Nero Burning ROM software I burned the CD in both SVCD and VCD formats. I don't think I did it properly because both formats would not play in the DVD player. It recognised the individual movie clips, but would not play them.

What video format am I supposed to use? MPEG-1 / MPEG-2? It there a any thing else I need to know? Is there a special resolution that has to be used?

Any help is greatly appriciated.

Thank you.

Bobby

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Converting DVD-Ram to CD-R
on May 14, 2005 at 2:35:44 am

Before the Pioneer A03 DVD burner came out, I tried to burn VCD's with limited success. While some claim that VCD's are comparable to VHS quality, I disagree as mine became severely pixelated during any motion. Basically, VCD bitrates, which should be MPEG-1 format, just aren't high enough to look good.

I was only able to successfully create a VCD that would play using Nero, burning it on CD-RW media. Most DVD players assume that CDR media is a CD audio disc, so CDR VCD's won't play.

Personally, I'd avoid the frustration and buy a DVD burner, which now start at less than $100.

Return to posts index

wizzer
on May 15, 2005 at 9:22:40 pm

John Q,

Thank you for your reply. It makes since that DVD players only recognize CDR as CD audio only.

well, I guess my best option would be to purchase a DVD-Burner.

So which format is the best? Or should I say, which format is most used?

Return to posts index

John Q
on May 16, 2005 at 1:35:26 am

In my experience, DVD-R is slightly more compatible than DVD+R, although the actual media quality seems to have more impact than whether it's + or -. I burn both. If a client can't read one format, I'll burn the other for them. (Before you ask, I usually use Ritek media.)

I've not had much luck with dual layer DL media. Although the DVD burner can play it, none of my DVD players can.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]