FORUMS: list search recent posts

10,000 RPM HD for the boot drive?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ATLguy
10,000 RPM HD for the boot drive?
on May 11, 2005 at 9:18:17 pm

Is there any advantage or potential problems with having a 36gig 10,000 RPM HD as the boot drive (Windows Media Center), and adding a 200gig 7200 RPM HD as the second drive? Thanks...

Return to posts index

Dark Knight
Re: 10,000 RPM HD for the boot drive?
on May 13, 2005 at 6:46:09 pm

I wouldn't bother with the 10k drive for an operating system. Personally, I would recommend spending the money elsewhere in the system and going with something like an 80gig Western Digital 7200RPM drive (preferable IDE, but SATA can work as well). Under ideal circumstances, the OS drive is used only to load programs and store files, with the second drive actually running video. Therefore, having the extra speed on a boot drive is just going to add expense without greatly increasing performance.

Rob
ADK Video Editing

Return to posts index

pjletofsky
on May 15, 2005 at 6:07:21 am

So if I'm building a new system, for my boot drive should I use a 60GB IDE 7200 RPM drive over using 2 of them in a Raid, or would a new SATA 160GB 7200 RPM be better? Don't you want a fast drive for running programs? Is a raid for the boot drive a waste vs a single drive?
Could you explain the theory better?
I'm thinking of taking the pair of 60GB drives from my soon to be old computer....
thanks

Return to posts index

dailyrushes
on May 22, 2005 at 4:33:50 am

I have run my editing system from an 80 Gig Maxtor 3.5" ATA drive and even using the system drive as a video drive with never a dropped frame or any other problems. Just a test...I normally use a separate 120 Gig Maxtor for the video drive. I'm also using a P4C800 Deluxe motherboard and 1 gig ram, all as recommended by the DIY section of this website.

The only problems I've had with Premiere pro 1.5 has been with writing DVDs from the timeline, and the funky audio handling compared to old 6.0, but that last may just be a learning curve.

The writing DVDs from timeline was solved by outputting the final version to a single AVI and making the DVD from that, and be sure there's enough room on the drive for the image before writing.

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
on May 24, 2005 at 4:06:47 pm

Sorry to blatantly disagree, but we use 10K RPM drives for the boot drive in every system we build - here's why:

1) the 36GB 10K RPM drives cost about as much as a 120GB 7,200 rpm drive. (because of the way the industry is, an 80GB SATA 7,200 rom drive is really not that much cheaper) This statement is to establish that the DRIVE cost is not considerably more (cost per GB is)

2) In typical usage of how a boot drive is SUPPOSED to work (JUST windows/programs), you will not exceed the 36GB capacity. This makes anything MORE than 36GB a waste. Some people might say to partition the drive, then, to make use of the other space, but that is not recommended, because the boot drive needs its own channel for optimal performance.

3) The considerably lower seek times of the 10K rpm drive that is constantly working, accessing data for your programs and the OS, gives real, noticable performance advantages when compared to a 7,200 RPM drive (even at 16MB cache) holding your programs and OS.

Faster boot up, faster loading of software, smoother overall experience.
WON'T help to not drop frames (that has to do with the video drives, which have completely different hard drive needs - throughput vs. seek time)

Does that make sense?

Return to posts index

dailyrushes
on May 24, 2005 at 7:52:54 pm

Got it. I just had to put in my two cents that I'd gotten Premiere Pr to work well even using the system drive for the video drive. So if someone just has to get the system running somehow on a shoestring, it can be done.

What about drive dependability? Isn't there another type of drive for video (more expensive of course) that will practially never fail? I forget what that's called but I"ve seen this recommended somewhere. The MTBF is much longer, is what I'm trying to say.

Return to posts index

tantuscomputers
on May 25, 2005 at 10:04:19 pm

Not sure exactly what you're talking about, but there IS a Western Digital "RAID Edition" that has a longer warranty and MTBF. Honestly, I wouldn't trust it to be any MORE reliable than a regular WD drive.

Return to posts index

dailyrushes
on May 27, 2005 at 1:54:08 am

Sometime back I saw something from a video editing outfit that mentioned they used the commercial grade IDE drives which will run many, many times longer before failure than the consumer grade cheapies will. Can't recall how many hours they said, but basically it's just better built and will last a lot longer without failure. This was before SATA drives were around.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]