FORUMS: list search recent posts

Starting from scratch

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dugonius
Starting from scratch
on May 10, 2005 at 9:12:17 am

I am building a system for my growing interest in video editing, and upon finding this site I started to base it around elements from the two Videoguys DIY articles.

When I thought I had a fairly firm basis (thinking ASUS P5ad2- largely for its expandability- a Quadro fx 540 and p4 3.0 or 2 or 4...- for use with Premiere Pro) I went to my most highly recommended local computer shop and told them my tale.

Instead of agreeing with anything at all I had, they recommended;

-AMD athlon 64 3500+ (2.2 GHz 512k s939)
-Gigabyte K8NF-9 (Nf4-4x)
-Corsair 1024 MB twin- 3200XL
and a pair of 250g Seagate SATA HDDs.

He didn't have any suitable video cards, so I was going to stick with the fx 540.

So please tell me, was this guy an idiot? Does anything there make sense? He told me not to think about DDR2 RAM, asits latency was way to high for NLE apps, something completely contradictory to what I believed.

Please help!

P.S.- I am currently using the family PC for my editing, if anyone has any idea where the following system would stand compared to the VGuy's DIY systems I or II please let me know...
-p4 3.2 skt 478
-G.Byte GA-8S648FX-Rz
-1024 MB pc2700 DDR333 generic crappy RAM
-Gigacube ATi 9250se 128MB graphics.

Cheers for taking the time to read this mammoth essay-problem.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Starting from scratch
on May 11, 2005 at 2:08:05 am

Athlon systems can give just as much performance as a Pentium and save you some bucks. BUT - they are trickier to build and optimize for video editing. So they make for a much more difficult DIY project. That said, with expertise you can build a fanbtastic athlon based NLE machine.

If your guy can walk the walk (not just talk the talk) you'll do just fine.

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]