FORUMS: list search recent posts

another configuration question please

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
photojim
another configuration question please
on May 7, 2005 at 4:53:25 am

Newbie with some questions on new system. My daughters high school band had a tape that they wanted converted to a VCD (my current machine does not have a DVD burner). Since I have an ADS Pyro ProDVD card I said I would give it a try. Mind you I bought this card awhile ago (from Videoguys) and have not used it much. Well I don’t think my present computer could handle the video editing and the machine froze. This may be due to the fact that I recently added PSCS suite the hard drive was pretty full. I shut it down and it would not restart. It is currently in the shop for an estimate. It is an AMD athlon XP 2000, with a gig of ram and only a 60gb hard drive and a nvidia GeForce 4 MX440 64MB video card. After reading this board I think I should upgrade to something better.

A friend who knows computers recommended the following system: ASUS P4P800 mother board, intel Pentium 4 3.2E 800MHz 478 processor, 2gb ram, Western Digital raptor 72gb hard drive, ATI AIW 9800 pro video card, Plextor SATA DVD burner. After reading the entries in the forum and the DIY guides, I am thinking otherwise. Most of my work is with digital still photos editing in PSCS, so I am looking for a system that can handle both.

I am probably looking at spending around 1000-1500.00. From the info on this site I think I would be better off with (at least) 2x120GB hard drives. Maxtor Diamondmax 10 as reviewed here would be a good choice? Will the ATI AIW 9800PRO video card take the place of the ADS Pyro ProDVD? Am I gaining any benefit with the ATI card versus a PNY fx540 card? While the Plextor DVD burner is a good one, the NEC 3520A gets good reviews here for significantly less money.

Are there any other suggestions? Man there is so much to learn in this new digital age!

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Return to posts index

Dark Knight
Re: another configuration question please
on May 13, 2005 at 6:54:38 pm

I would look into an AMD 939-pin based system. The newer AMD chips will outperform Intel chips in video editing, and will handle PS quite nicely.

Check this one out:
Motherboard: Asus A8V Deluxe
CPU: AMD 3500+ 939-pin
Video: ATI Radeon 9600

The All-in-Wonder is all too often redundant for a video system (since many have another form of video input), although can be used for television output if you so desire. It's more a matter of expense than any technical reason to avoid them.

2 gigs of RAM I strongly agree with, mainly for PS.

The Raptor drive I would install, but I would also add a standard IDE hard drive for the operating system (and use the Raptor solely for storing video and image data).

The SATA DVD burner I dis-agree with, and I would recommend a Pioneer 109 IDE burner instead.

Just my $0.02 worth Very Happy

Rob
ADK Video Editing

Return to posts index

PharmaSea
on May 17, 2005 at 8:46:07 pm

Thanks Rob.

I see that the AMD 3500+ comes in a winchester, claw hammer, and venice. So which do you recommend?

Return to posts index

DMoney
on May 21, 2005 at 12:25:37 am

the Winchester runs at 90nm which consumes less power and runs at lower temperatures. Get it. It is good. Very Happy

Danny

Return to posts index

TantusGuy
on May 24, 2005 at 5:13:58 pm

Honestly, although we love the AMD's, for video editing Intel definetly has the upper hand. If we were talking 3D I'd say otherwise.

As far as the drives, in performing extensive tests and building our fair share of systems, I'd recommend utilizing the 10K rpm SATA drive as your system drive and then running (2) 200GB SATA drives in a striped array (if your looking for performance). The price of storage per Gigabyte between a 120GB and 200GB drive is insignificant that it doesn't make sense not to get the storage you need up front.

Everyone has their own opinion and that's just mine but it is based on a number of years building high performance and stable systems for video editing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]