FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stuttering capture

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Byars
Stuttering capture
on Jun 13, 2004 at 7:53:05 am

I have recently wiped my hard disks clean and reinstalled XP Pro and now I cannot capture properly. In Premiere, I can play a video from the camcorder through the Pinnacle DV500 Firewire breakout box but when I click on capture, the video stutters and the audio literally sounds like the Wookie from Star Wars. This used to work just fine prior to being bitten by a virus (thus the hard disk cleanup). I have checked the following:

Singed on as Administrator
All Project Settings set to Pinnacle AVI (DV)
DVTools - same issue
Device Manager - no conflicts
Latest software
Registry is clean (Registry Mechanic)
Anti Virus is off

I did see a Legacy Video Capture Device under Sound, Video and Game Controllers in the Device Manager that states the driver is WDM Video For Windows Capture Driver (WIN 32) - I tried to delete this to see if there was a conflict but it won't go away.

I did not get a chance to set my Profile info yet so I will list my logisitics here:

Sony TRV-330 Camcorder
XP Pro
Premiere 6.5
Pinnacle DV500 4.5
Athlon 1.2 Ghz
Asus A7A266 - 1 GB RAM
Western Digital 80 GB Primary
Maxtor 250 GB Storage
Radeon 7200 64 MB(XP signed driver)
Soundblaster Live Platinum 5.1 (XP signed driver)

Another oddity that may be related is that I cannot playback in the Monitor of Premiere unless I change the Editing Mode under General in Project Settings to DV Playback which then allows only Microsoft DV as the Compressor in the Video window.

Sorry for being lengthy here but I have spent a couple of days on this so far and I am quite frustrated. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Joe

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Stuttering capture
on Jun 13, 2004 at 12:46:48 pm

sounds like you don't have your premiere presets set correctly for the DV500. check out our old Premeire 6.5 tips page http://www.videoguys.com/Premiere6tips.html

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

Joe Byars
on Jun 13, 2004 at 4:58:58 pm

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the input. I did check that already, that looks good. I also reset the Preferences by deleting Prem60. I also tried capturing in DVTools with the same results so I have eliminated Premiere as the culprit (or did I?).

Again, thanks for the fast response. Any further help is greatly appreciated.

Joe

Return to posts index

Joe Byars
on Jun 14, 2004 at 7:07:53 pm

Problem fixed.

The Storage drive was the issue. As suggested by jeffy82 on Pinnacle's DV500 forum, I ran Pinnacle's DV Expert and the testing revealed the read/write times were below the minimum requirements. I captured to my primary that had tested fine and everything works. It may have been due to the drive being 2/3's full that slowed it down. All of the primary drive data was transferred to the storage drive during the disk cleanup which added to the disk getting too full.

I also found on the ASUS website that the motherboard does not support hard drives over 127GB so I am off to buy a new motherboard, chipset, RAM and CPU. I have read the VideoGuys articles so I have a good idea of what to buy.

Thanks - Joe

Return to posts index

mojohand
on Aug 27, 2004 at 1:06:14 am

You shouldn't be taking vidoe in from the breakout box on your DV500. Just use the FW out on the card itself (assuming your DV has FW). If you're using 4.5 it will only need the native MS driver that comes with XP (an advantage). Your drive has to boogy at 7200 rpm at least. Video doesn't need a whole lot of processor speed or ram to capture but rendering has a need for speed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]