FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID is that a good choice ???

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcelo Iha
RAID is that a good choice ???
on May 5, 2005 at 1:20:51 am

HI,

Does anyone knows something against RAID systems , on video ????

I intend to use 2 RAIDS , one IDE for the OS ( windows/linux ) and another for the video purposes. 4 HDs .

HDs are cheapear now, but i wonder if a faster RAPTOR 10000 RPM isn't a better choice ( but expensive ).

Return to posts index

Jediknight
Re: RAID is that a good choice ???
on May 5, 2005 at 5:59:50 am

Marcelo Iha: HI,

Does anyone knows something against RAID systems , on video ????

I intend to use 2 RAIDS , one IDE for the OS ( windows/linux ) and another for the video purposes. 4 HDs .

HDs are cheapear now, but i wonder if a faster RAPTOR 10000 RPM isn't a better choice ( but expensive ).

RAID for the average desktop user is nearly worthless.
But a videoguy can use RAID to make his job easier and reduce the time takes to get the job done.
A single RAID0 combining two larger drives (250gbs 7200rpm for example) would be good an idea for your work drive.
Do your rendering, encoding, etc, on this massive drive.
Don't do a RAID0 for your Operating System unless you faithfully back it up on consistent basis.
If only one of the two drives dies, you'll lose your installation and will have reinstall all of your applications.
Raptors are nice, but not required to build a nice DIY system.
Remember video is huge, raptors are small.
Don't strip (RAID0) those raptors, mirror them (RAID1).
I think you would better served just ignore the raptors have one drive as your system drive and the other one to store your finished work.

Everything depends on your application.
Spending money on your CPUs and Video Cards is far more important then drives, IMHO.

JediKnight

Return to posts index

TantusGuy
on May 25, 2005 at 2:13:30 am

Although this thread is several weeks old, I just thought I'd comment on some of the things said.

First of all, RAID 0 at minimum for an NLE system. For a more bullet proof solution, no question a 4 disk RAID 5 array rocks. You get performance, redundancy, and fail over all built into one system.

I do agree that at the very least two drives in RAID 0 for file editing. And yes WD Raptors are nice and although not required, they can add performance to your system without a whole lot of money. I wouldn't load my system with Raptors but my recommendation is to use one 36GB Raptor as the boot/system drive and then two 7200 RPM SATA drives in a striped array for editing. Many will disagree thinking that a 10K rpm drive is wasted for booting. However, you have to remember that your OS and application files are constantly in use, at least your OS. It isn't simply a matter of boot it and forget it. For $160, a 10K rpm Raptor is worth the gains in performance.

I do not think that you can say that the CPUs and video cards are more important than the drives. CPU's? Yes. Video cards? No. With an NLE system more money spent on the video card doesn't necessarily mean big gains in performance. As a matter of fact, you probably won't reap the benefits of a high end video card. If you're doing 3D, go for it. In editing video, you're not going to need the advanced OpenGL benefits. In many cases something as simple as an ATI 9600 will more than suffice. As a matter of fact the nVidia Geforce MMX 440 is on the video card compatibility list when using the Matrox RT.X10 and 100.

Return to posts index

wayl0n
on May 28, 2005 at 1:30:28 am

I'm also curious about this. I was personally interested in doing a RAID 5 eventually in the Big Blue II, but wasn't sure if the access times to the drives would be fast enough. RAID 5 seems to be the most efficient for useable space plus if one goes out, you dont lose everything, just swap the baddie. Thats my favorite thing about the BigBlue and the P5AD2 motherboard, it supports a TON of hard drives. I have all my parts on order now....twidled my thumbs down to knubs already waiting for them all to come.

Return to posts index

TantusGuy
on May 28, 2005 at 4:32:51 am

If it's in your budget and you love the idea of redundancy and fault tolerance then RAID 5 is for you. As far as performance, RAID 5 has the highest READ data transaction rate, medium WRITE data transaction rate, and a good aggregate transfer rate. However, the individual block data transfer rate is about the same as a single disk. Ask yourself, "is my data mission critical?" If you answer "yes" then RAID 5 may be for you.

Truthfully though, RAID 0 is more ideal for any application requiring high bandwidth such as video editing, image editing, and pre press applications. RAID 5 is usually more suited to file and application servers, database servers, web, mail and news servers, and intranet servers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]