I used Studio dlx 7 and then upgraded the sw to 9, keeping the old 7 hw unit for quite a while. While I liked the features it's stability problems finally drove me to Premier Elements which is quite solid.
I now want to move up to a professional package. I see raves about LE and it would be a cheaper path than Premier Pro but I'm a little gun-shy about stability and features.
1. Can I assume that LE can handle projects more than 20min long without falling apart and corrupting projects? I don't want to have to split my work into meta-projects for bigger projects like I had to do to keep Studio stable.
2. How does LE with BOB compare to something like the Matrox RT product?
3. I run a dual monitor config and I would like to add a third "real" NTSC preview monitor. Can I run that off the BOB and will it preview in real-time? I don't want to give up half my desktop to preview. Or would I have to buy another video card with a TV-out? Can my old Studio dlx card do any of this (probably not I'm sure)?
Some questions: 1. Can I assume that LE can handle projects more than 20min long without falling apart and corrupting projects? LE6 is professional class prodcut. In a properly configured machine you can create projects 2 or 3 hours long with PERFECT audio sync.
2. How does LE with BOB compare to something like the Matrox RT product? It blows it away. much more I/O including component video.
3. I run a dual monitor config and I would like to add a third "real" NTSC preview monitor. Can I run that off the BOB and will it preview in real-time? EXCACTLY! You use you dual head graphics card to drive your dual monitors (CRT oer LCD) and you use the video output of the BOB for previews on your TV while editing.
So far, from the research I've done it doesn't look as though Pinnacle LE will capture in 24p. If I understand what I've read, I think that it will edit 24p just fine but you'd have to capture it with something else. I'm not sure about encoding but I don't see how that would be a problem once you've got it in the system.
From the Pinnacle forums it is a requested feature and is, apparently, on their "to-do" list for LE6.
If someone who knows more could pipe-up here and correct any mistakes I've made I'd appreciate it.
I've been using LE 6.1 PRO for a couple of months editing shorts shot on Canon XL1. I have to say that my prior package was an old Ulead package with a Matrox card back in 1999 and there is no comparison. I don't know if other people have this problem, but my LE 6.1 freezes up too and requires a few too many reboots. If you do a long capture session and then switch to edit, you get a freeze, etc. Also, the system doesn't recognize the BOB, especially if you change parameters and you have to replug and reboot to get it to register on the software. There is not switch on the BOB so you have to unplug it and plug it in each time because leaving it on creates heat and seems like it can't be good for the BOB. I chose LE 6 because it includes a enormous amount of feature and can handle HD and HDV and you don't have to buy add ons. Before upgrading to HD, I want to get a DVX100A but didn't know about this capturing 24p problem. I hope that is fixable.