FORUMS: list search recent posts

video card for new system

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
craigo
video card for new system
on Apr 24, 2005 at 4:10:37 pm

i'm currently looking to configure a dv workstation to replace my aging P4. i started with pinnacle studio 7/8 but now i primarily use adobe premier pro with the final product aimed at dvd's.

i'm looking at getting a dual xeon system based on the supermicro v6dae-g2 motherboard. the single item that most confuses me now is the graphics adaptor selection. i've tried to narrow it down to two different multihead adaptors the pny quadro 540 and the matrox parhelia. both of these are pci e x16 as far as i can tell.

can you share any guidance regarding video card selection? am i even comparing apples to apples? are there other cards i should consider? and finally is a hardware solution like the matrox rtx100 something i should consider. i must confess that on the hardware solution i am greatly confused by how they work and if you still need a graphics adaptor in addition to the hardware.

Return to posts index

ashVID
Re: video card for new system
on Apr 26, 2005 at 8:00:52 am

Dont go both ways... if you go hardware card, you only need a p4 HT, dual xeons will get you nothing extra. I would recommend NOT committing to a card right now as new ones are surely around the corner and many of the new NLE programs support software real time stuff...

ash =o)

Return to posts index

Taylor
on May 12, 2005 at 3:08:51 pm

I'm planning to get the Matrox RT.X100 Xtreme Pro and either a nVidia Quadro graphics card or a Matrox one. With these two peices of hardware, would I need to get dual Xeon or P4 processors or would just a P4 HT processor be fine?

Return to posts index

TantusGuy
on May 24, 2005 at 6:23:27 pm

First of all, if you're going to use Premiere Pro, the Matrox RT.X10-100 is the way to go.

Analog In (capture), Out (export to tape or real-time, full-res preview on a monitor), Acceleration of effects (real-time rendering of effects and filters), real-time export to MPEG2 (huge benefit if you go to DVD with your project), and also provides extensive capture/export tools and additional effects that do not come with Premiere Pro.

Additionally, the RT.X100 comes with more effects and filters, advanced color correction and chromo keying.

As far as your video card, you're right, it can be confusing. Don't worry about any of the high end gaming cards (unless your workstation is going to double as a gaming system) or high end workstation cards either. You really don't need and won't use the advanced features they support.

By the way, Matrox also recommends at least a P4 2.4 to support their card. If you have the budget and just want to do it, dual Xeon all the way! Otherwise a P4 3.2 + will do what you need. Remember with the RT.X card, most of the heavy lifting is done by the card and not the CPU.

When you say "muti-headed" do you mean more than two CRT's/LCD's? If you only need two, you really don't need the Parhelia card either. Any card with dual DVI (or one DVI and one VGA) will support two displays.

After all that though the bottom line is "check Matrox's compatibility list". You'll find the 9600 Pro/9700 Pro/9800 Pro are supported as well as a number of others.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]