FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need Help--Unique Application

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
fortune
Need Help--Unique Application
on Apr 14, 2005 at 2:40:50 pm

I am very new to video, but I would like to use a digital camcorder in a lab to record insect movement. I plan to record the video data directly into a PC rather than to the camcorder. Other than making sure I use a firewire connection, is there anything else I need to purchase, set up, or know about in order to record directly to the PC? Since I will be recording a lot and may want to reduce file size, I would also like to know if there is a way to have the video automatically compressed as it is being recorded to the PC. I also have considered setting up the camera to only record at set intervals (i.e. 30 seconds every 5 minutes), and would like to know if anyone knows of a way to set up a recording schedule of that type. Any advice you can offer on any of my questions will be very much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dark Knight
Re: Need Help--Unique Application
on May 13, 2005 at 7:07:21 pm

Running into firewire will automatically compress the incoming video into DV format (this is part of the firewire/DV spec). A good-sized hard drive will hold quite a bit of DV footage. I would probably recommend adding a very large hard drive (something like a 250gig Westen Digital or 300gig Maxtor SATA drive), but other than that I would say you should be fine.

Return to posts index

TantusGuy
Re: Need Help--Unique Application
on Jun 1, 2005 at 6:38:36 pm

DV will take up approximately 13GB of disk space for every hour of footage. Depending on what you're going to do with the footage, you could add a Matrox RT.X10 card, connect the camera directly to the card, and encode to MPEG-2 from the camera. This would save you considerable space.

If you're planning on editing the footage after capture, stick with DV format.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]