FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aspiring Videographer - Helpful hints needed please!!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kbelling
Aspiring Videographer - Helpful hints needed please!!
on Apr 12, 2005 at 10:13:30 am

Hi there,

I am a young South African looking at starting my own videography business. It's very difficult to survive each month here (although i'm sure it's the same throughout the world), so i decided to make my own future and do something i love while making some money.

I have done alot of research and will be starting off with wedding videos. I am not very experienced and have a very small video camera. I am using Pinnacle Studio 9 at the moment to edit, but would truly appreciate any tips on which video camera to purchase (SONY??) and which editing program is best. If you have any tips on how to get good shots, and where i can find out more i would love you help.

I have a creative passion and would love to pursue this career. Please let me know if you have any great comments to share.

Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

brightmotion
FAQ Video
on Apr 19, 2005 at 1:27:27 am

I am putting together this FAQ Video web site to answer questions in regards to wedding video shooting as well as more general staff. Check it out, and if you have questions, feel free to ask, I will be more than happy to answer on http://faqvideo.com.

Return to posts index

kbelling
Thank you
on Apr 19, 2005 at 6:10:52 am

thanks very much. I will have a look!

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
Re: Aspiring Videographer - Helpful hints needed please!!
on Apr 21, 2005 at 9:36:43 pm

Kbelling...

First question is...why don't you move?

But to your questions:

I was in the same spot as you just 3 years ago, except for the whole South Africa part. I started with a Sony TRV740 Digital8 camera, Pinnacle 7 and a PC with an 80GB hard drive that I SWORE I'd never fill up.

I was very fortunate in using my creative abilities (little bragging here) and getting a lot of work. Weddings was certainly a part of our initial push for marketing. I did weddings for about half the price of everyone else in my metro area, and I did that for two reasons: I was a rookie at it (I had filmed a lot of amature stuff in high school but never something important to people!) and I had to undercut the big boys to score the job. I didn't have much capital so I would take almost anything I could get just to build up my inventory. As jobs went on I was able to install a second 80GB hard drive and buy another digital8 Sony Camera. I guess what I'm trying to say is start small, expect small, and build up from there. It's ok if you don't have top-shelf equipment right from the start because it's your passion for the project and dreative ability that will determine your success. I've spent many hours on large projects when the paycheck was no more than $350-$500. 3 years later my typical income from one job is $2500, and as much as $6000. Oh by the way, I'm still using my TRV740 digital 8 camera and my other sony camera (TRV350). I have the same PC (although I've added 3 250GB external hard drives, a faster processor, memory and upgraded to a 160GB C: drive) and I'm using Pinnacle 9 plus. This summer we're upgrading everything (new PC, new cameras, new software) but I don't necessarily have to in order to stay in business.

I would suggest that you set goals and put aside at least half your earnings to reach those goals and upgrade your resources. It's better if you reinvest ALL your earnings for the first couple years.

Ok... I suggest using Pinnacle software (the Pinnacle Plus media suite is really nice with the pan/zoom and chroma key features) mainly because it's VERY user friendly to beginners. You have a ton of features but things are logically arranged for a starter. I also suggest a Sony DV camera. If you can't afford the $2000+ models like my personal favorite, the VX2100 then I highly recommend you try getting two DV cams in the $400-$600 range. Having two cameras is essential. Especially for weddings. Even if you don't have another person shooting with it, you can set it up in different places for footage while you roam. Before having mics, I would actually use a third camera (a borrowed 8mm) to set up right near the couple at the wedding ceremony in order to use just the audio from it during editing. Then I would move it near a DJ's speaker during the reception so that I always had a clean copy of the audio. I could go on and on...

Return to posts index

kbelling
Getting Started
on Apr 22, 2005 at 6:49:44 am

Hi there

Thanks for your for your advice. I really appreciate it.

I really wouldn't want to move from SA. My family is here, and there are opportunities for the Entrepreneur...i guess it's just the high population that limits job opportunities - so you need to search for a while to get a good job.

I would really like to chat to you some more, and learn more. Would you be able to email me??

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
Re: Aspiring Videographer - Helpful hints needed please!!
on Apr 22, 2005 at 3:52:26 pm

Sure thing. If you have any questions, send them to Noyz3001@aol.com.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]