FORUMS: list search recent posts

Selecting a capture card (and software)

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DennisMV
Selecting a capture card (and software)
on May 28, 2004 at 11:38:29 pm

I'm trying to select a card for my needs.
Last time I tried DVStorm (1) and I liked it for some features and didn't like for others. i.e I liked RT editing, but didn't like the 2Gb limit and the fact that Native Premiere's transitions and filters were not RT. I returned DVStorm then, becase of these.
That was 1.5 years ago.

Now I'm back, and I have accumulated 20+ hours of videos to edit.
I currently have a firewire card and Adobe 6.0

But I'm ready for something new. And before I start guessing on what products I may need or what, here's what I will do:
I am not a professional. I don't do video editing for a living.
I'm probably an amateur enthusiast.
I don't do video editing on a consistent basis. It's once in a while.
However, I also want to do short student type movies, so I want to be able to do some formidable video editing, that is have professional or close-to-professional quality videos.
I want to put these videos on DVD.
And I wonder what product (hardware and software) will be best for me in my situation.
Just want to point out that I do not want consider products based on the price. That is quality and ease of use it the issue, while money is not. Of course it's to a point as I probably will pass on that $10,000 super duper capture RT card :) But otherwise I want something I can use that won't require me to take full time courses on how to use it.

Can you suggest a capture system and/or software that may suit me ?
Or shall I stay with my firewire card for now ?

thanks!
Dennis

Return to posts index

DennisMV
Re: Selecting a capture card (and software)
on May 29, 2004 at 1:26:51 am

Just to note, I'm thinking of Matrox RT.X100 so far.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on May 29, 2004 at 12:42:57 pm

The MAtrox RTX100 is a great choice. You'll be stepping up to the new version of premiere, Premeire Pro. Adobe has added aq ton of new features and capabilities. Matrox has made them even better. It's a winning combination.

Real-time MPEG2 export fromt he timeline is going to make your DVD production faster. The MAtrox single pass scan and capture is going to save you a ton of time when capturing. The real-tiume FX and filters are top notch.

As part of our memorial day specials we're offering a free Premeire Pro keyboard ($89.95 value)!!

http://www.videoguys.com/specials.html

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

DennisMV
on May 29, 2004 at 6:55:12 pm

thanks,

I have Windows 2000, and it looks like RT X100 may not fully support it. I don't think I want to upgrade to WinXP yet, however.

Have you tried it with Win2K ?

Return to posts index

John Q
on May 29, 2004 at 10:05:44 pm

While the RT.X100 can operate under Win2K, most of the newer Adobe applications, like Encore, do not. You should plan to upgrade to XP Pro.

Return to posts index

DennisMV
on May 30, 2004 at 7:44:22 am

Alright, I'm considering upgrading to WinXP.

There was an advice, however:
pick your (favorite) software, then select a hardware that supports that software.
As opposed to selecting a cool looking hardware, and then complaining that you don't like the software that comes with it.

I don't have a software I know and or prefer yet.
I had some short experiences with Ulead Media Pro, but mostly with Premiere 6.0.

So I wonder if Matrox RT X100 will be a great choice, or shall I try some software programs first with my OHCI card, and then decide ..

Return to posts index

John Q
on May 30, 2004 at 10:20:24 pm

When I upgraded to firewire, I first tried a Pyro Pro. While it worked, everything had to be rendered.

Then the RT2000 was released, which offered hardware-assisted preview during editing. This was a BIG improvement over software rendering. As my output was still tape, this worked well.

Next the Pioneer A03 came out, and I moved into the world of DVD authoring. I bought the Ligos plugin for Premiere to transcode my video. Its interface was a little intimidating at first, but it would create DVD compliant video and audio files. The problem was it took 10 hours for every hour of video on my 700 MHz PIII.

While I was trying to figure out how to upgrade my system to improve the transcoding performance, the RT.X100 was announced. I immediately ordered one and proceeded to upgrade my computer to one capable of supporting the X100. The X100 gave me realtime color correction and transcoding. As I had upgraded to multiple cameras, the realtime color correction is invaluable, allowing me to easily match the video from the different cameras. Once you try hardware-assisted realtime transcoding, you'll never want to go back to software-only solutions.

If you do want to upgrade to a realtime card, check the manufacturer's website for system recommendations, as these boards have very strict hardware compatibility requirements.

Return to posts index

mojohand
on Aug 27, 2004 at 1:13:18 am

Don't know about your sys but 2GB limit is probably a result of your OS not the card. If you format your drive as NTFS then you won't have the limit. That means you need to get 2000 or better yet, XP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]