FORUMS: list search recent posts

ADVC 300 - Now to encode, did I make a mistake?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darrel
ADVC 300 - Now to encode, did I make a mistake?
on Apr 9, 2005 at 1:07:44 am

I bought a Canopus ADVC 300 from Videoguys (you're all great) and it works like a champ. I have had a problem lately with the Picture Controller 300, but Canopus is working very hard with me to rectify the situation. I have a question. I have a fairly powerful computer system set up for NLE. What is the general concensus about MPEG encoding? Should I buy Canopus Procoder 2? Should I stick with Premiere and Encores built in encoders (built by Mainconcept) or did I make a mistake buying the ADVC 300 - should I have gone after something like the RT.X 100? Has there been any reports of out of sync video with the Matrox RT.X 100? The ADVC 300 really is a great machine. I have had a Pinnacle DC10+, Miro (Pinnacle ) DC30, Adaptec Videoh! and others - they were all horrible. They ALL lost the audio/video sync. Not the ADVC, and, I've never dropped a frame yet (my computers power and raid system helps..) I just need to know if I should be looking at buying a hardware encoder or go with software? I've read in Evideo that you lose between 25% and 50% of video information when using software encoders, is this true? Meanwhile in Videography the CEO of Ligos says that software encoders are better now that CPU's are in the gig range and there is a lot of fast RAM. He believes that once you get the hardware your stuck with it and it can't be upgraded. If the hardware available now is so much better than the software encoders than why should it matter if they age, they work don't they? I apologize for going on a little too long here. I have not had a problem at all playing the Premiere or After Effects Timeline on my NTSC monitor so I'd say my machine is okay. Shoudl I be looking to get some type of Hardware MPEG 2 encoder?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: ADVC 300 - Now to encode, did I make a mistake?
on Apr 9, 2005 at 1:34:05 pm

one of my favorite features of the rtx100 is the real-time mpeg2 encoder. For Prem pro / Encore users it is a great tool.

The ADVC300 is great for capturing analog footage - especially older footage from VHS that just isn't in good shape.

Procoder is my favorite softwarte for encoding. tremendous amount of control on the encoding stream, superb quality and it is still pretty fast!

Gary

Return to posts index

Darrel
Which to go with?
on Apr 9, 2005 at 3:36:01 pm

Gary, thanks for your reply. I was wondering if the ADVC would be better than the RT.X100 for capturing analog (I figured it would because of the line time base correction and audio lock) by your reply I feel confident that it was a good purchase and will keep it.

I will only edit footage in DV, so capturing in MPEG is useless to me. Your website says that the rendering and encoding process without the RT.X degrades the quality of the finished product. How accurate is that?

Do you feel that the RT.X does a better job of encoding for DVD output than Procoder or Encores software encoder? I'm trying to justify spending perhaps a grand on the RT.X when my system can do just about everything without it, excluding the realtime playback on my NTSC monitor of the timeline when there are more layers, effects, transitions, etc. than my present system can handle.

If the RT.X (or something similar, I am partial to Canopus) will not only encode faster but also good enough to satisfy customers, than I'll swing by and get it. Is it possible to buy just the hardware for the RT.X? Obviosly, I have the software end covered. I guess I can always sell it.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]