FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY3 Update

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Bettan
DIY3 Update
on Apr 7, 2005 at 4:26:59 pm

Our DIY3 project is almost complete. “Double Trouble” was our first Dual Processor system. Unlike the previous two projects, this one was far more difficult. It was very hard finding a motherboard that all our vendors liked.

Once we finally settled in on the right board, we ran into a bunch of little issues that kept delaying the project. Dual Xeons create a ton of heat, and you really need to go overboard with the cooling and the power supply. Our first case looked great, until we fired it up and saw how hot things were running. Removing the motherboard & CPUs from one case and putting into the other proved to be a challenge as well.

Jon spent more time on this system than on the first two combined. It looks like we have “Double Trouble” running stable now, and after a few more weeks of testing we’ll be posting our full report.

Return to posts index

ashVID
Re: DIY3 Update
on Apr 12, 2005 at 1:11:40 am

Can you recommend a Dual Xeon motherboard at least? =o) THANKS!

ash =o)

Return to posts index

Rcwatson83
on Apr 12, 2005 at 1:15:59 pm

How about recommend a duel cpu motherboard with nvidia sli technology. Thats what I've been looking for, boxx technologies looks like they have one but they don't say the motherboard name. I don't hink its a xeon motherboard, but I think i'm opting for opteron anyhow.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Apr 12, 2005 at 5:07:09 pm

We are using the SuperMicro X6DAE-G2 in our new DUY machine

Gary

Return to posts index

Luke
by
on Apr 27, 2005 at 5:02:17 pm

Rcwatson, the Tyan K8WE series are excellent boards for dual Opteron, while also supporting SLI-ready PCIe and a host of other stuff. Check http://www.froogle.com for it and sort by cheapest. Then check the seller's reputation on http://www.resellerratings.com
Good luck

Return to posts index

Jediknight
on May 5, 2005 at 6:33:08 am

videoguy: We are using the SuperMicro X6DAE-G2 in our new DUY machine

Gary

What a coincidence, that sounds like the board I'm using! Cool
Supermicro boards are rock solid and made to work hard.

The specs are awesome:

. Dual Intel® 64-bit Xeon™ Support,
up to 3.60 GHz, 800 MHz FSB
2. Intel® E7525 (Tumwater) Chipset
3. Up to 16GB DDRII 400 SDRAM
4. Intel® 82546GB Dual-port Gigabit
Ethernet Controllers
5. 2x SATA Ports via ICH5R
SATA Controller
6. 1 (x16) & 1 (x4) PCI-Express,
1x 64-bit 133MHz PCI-X,
2x 64-bit 100MHz PCI-X,
1x 32-bit 33MHz PCI
7. AC'97 Audio, 6-Channel

Return to posts index

mr.curmudgeon
DIY3
on May 30, 2005 at 7:57:57 pm

One thing you may want to note on the DIY3 page is that there seems to be problems with the chipset you've recommended (7525 chipset) in an RT.X100 environment. From Matrox's site:

"The Intel 7525 chipset is not recommended for use with a Matrox RT.X system because of problems when displaying video on the computer monitor (you will either experience no output or poor quality/choppy playback). You may also experience problems such as dropped frames when performing a realtime DV-1394 export to tape." ([url=http://www.matrox.com/video/support/rtx100xtremepro/rec/chipsets.cfm]link)

Have you guys tried the SuperMicro X6DAE-G2 as a Matrox RT.X system? Or are you recommending one environment over another when building a Dual-Xeon setup?

mrC

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
on May 31, 2005 at 2:22:36 pm

we are installing the Edius NX for HDV in this system. matrox does not take advantage of dual xeons at all. build the DIY2 machine and save the $1000, go on a nice vacation Smile

- Jon

Return to posts index

mr.curmudgeon
on Jun 2, 2005 at 8:01:58 pm

jon_videoguys: we are installing the Edius NX for HDV in this system. matrox does not take advantage of dual xeons at all. build the DIY2 machine and save the $1000, go on a nice vacation Smile

- Jon

Vacation, I wish! Smile

So this brings me to another newbie question...since the Edius hardware is needed for realtime HD output, etc., what - exactly - are the various "realtime" capabilties of the base DIY3 system *without* the additional Edius components?

(ie: what is it capable of handling, in a realtime capacity, in DV and HD, HDV environments?)

I'm looking to build the DIY3 system, since it makes sense for me to allow for HD editing, even though I can't afford to go whole hog on HD just yet. (HD camera, HD monitors, etc)

It's going to be a gradual process, and I'd like to manage my expectations with the DIY3 system from the beginning.

Thanks for all your help so far,
mrC

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
DIY3 -Sneak Peak
on Jun 3, 2005 at 1:26:39 am

Guys, the article is not yet finished, but I wanted to give you guys the first sneak peak http://www.videoguys.com/DIY3.html Mr. Green

Pix and some additional copy to be added on Friday. Goes live over the weekend!!

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]