FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie Capture Card Question

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joeybear
Newbie Capture Card Question
on Apr 7, 2005 at 2:20:02 pm

I posted this in the "Getting Started" forum, but got no replies, so I'm gonna post it here too...

I'm currently "doing my homework" in regards to setting up a video transfer, editing, and DVD authoring setup.
As for the computer, I'll be getting a dual CPU system specifically made for video work. As for the actual software, I'm going with the Vegas/DVD Architect bundle from Sony. I use Sony software in my audio studio, so I'd be most comfortable with Vegas.

Things are going smoothly, with one exception...

I'm looking for something Firewire based that will let me input multiple video devices into my video workstation. I'd like to have a Beta VCR (I own 2), a VHS VCR, a provision for input from a digital camera, and a provision for anything else that I can't think of right now.
I know this sounds like a lot, but as I've done my homework, I've discovered that video transfer services in this area are scant; especially in regards to Beta. And the places that actually do transfers usually charge outrageously high rates. I'm aware that video work is just as tedious and time consuming as audio restoration, but even taking that into account, some of the local prices still border on obscene.
I currently make a decent chunk of change with my audio studio; doing transfers and restoration; among other things, and thus, I see a real opportunity in the video area of things. Along with that, I have tons of beta and VHS tapes of my own that need to be transferred to DVD.

My babbling aside, is their a high end capture device that will satisfy my requirements? They have mixers for audio, what's out there for video?

Thanks in advance for any input, and feel free to e-mail me at joe324@earthlink.net

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Newbie Capture Card Question
on Apr 7, 2005 at 7:48:21 pm

Get the Canopus ADVC300. It does a fantastic job. It'll not only give you analog inputs into your NLE, but it allows you to clean up and restore older footage while you are capturing!

http://www.videoguys.com/ADVC.html#advc300

The ADVC300 was won our Top 10 Best award in 2003 when it was introduced. Since then it has proven to be a solid performer.

With the ADVC300 Canopus has answered one of the biggest problems facing DV editors trying to incorporate older VHS/8mm footage into their productions. Lets face it, the quality of these older VHS tapes is average at best, and the years of sitting on the shelf or in the closet has degraded the video quality further. The ADVC300 has built in digital image enhancement technology that cleans, enhances and stabilizes old analog video. We tested it with some really old footage that wasn't properly white balanced to begin with, and the results were quite impressive. I realize all of the new NLE applications have fantastic color correction tools, but the old adage "Garbage In = Garbage Out "still holds true. Older analog footage doesn't always offer a good enough signal and the AV to DV conversion degrades the image further. This degraded footage often isn't 'strong' enough for even these powerful color correction tools to do the job. With the ADVC300 you can will get the best possible video quality out of your older analog footage.

Return to posts index

Joeybear
Re: Newbie Capture Card Question
on Apr 7, 2005 at 10:39:01 pm

Thanks for the info.
If it works with Vegas, it sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

Return to posts index

Darrel
Go for the ADVC300
on Apr 9, 2005 at 3:47:18 pm

I bought mine from Videoguys and it performs flawlessly. It works as good as seriously expensive hardware time base, black and white balance correctors that I use at my full time job. That is saying a lot. One piece of advice, do not go for anything under the ADVC300, they do not have the same capabilities. Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]