Question about Music

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
acg
Question about Music
by
on Apr 6, 2005 at 10:28:15 pm

Hi guys,
I have been thinking about getting into the wedding industry as a videographer for a long while. I have been taking some courses the last 6 months for Adobe Premiere Pro and familiarizing myself with a camcorders and the technology in general. I figure in about another year or so I will know enough to get started. I have a well paying full time job right now and am in no rush to do something half right. I want to do this because I have discovered a passion for it.

My question relates to music in the video.
I know most, if not all, photographers in my area use commercial music in their finished product. Is there not a licensing issue with this? I am positive that 99% of them do not have a licence to use it. Do most videographers for wedding simply use commercial music and take a chance? As somebody from an Italian background you can imagine I have seen my share of wedding video's and I don't remember once seeing one with "royalty free" music.

Also, do the majority of you incorporate your business or run it as a sole proprietorship???

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Question about Music
on Apr 7, 2005 at 7:54:05 pm

Using a Pop song in a wedding video that you sell to others is copyright violation. I don't know of any instance of a Wedding Videographer being sued for it, but you are breaking the law if you do.

We suggest using one of these great tools for creating your own soundtracks:

SmartSound Sonicfire Pro $279.95 http://www.videoguys.com/smartsound.htm
The Videographer's #1 Choice of Professional Soundtrack Creation
SmartSound Sonicfire Pro is designed from the ground up to help you create perfect music soundtracks custom fit to your videos in just minutes. No other audio software is as fast or as easy in creating the music you need to make your visuals come to life – and custom soundtracks are the key to high-impact, professional quality videos. Now the bar has been raised once again. With the new Infinite Search Maestro you'll have limitless ways to find the perfect cut and manage your SmartSound library – including dynamic, "in process" purchase and download of individual SmartSound® files. Now, you will always be able to get just the right cut for any scene you score, in real time, while you work on your scene.

Sony Acid Pro 5 $249.95 http://www.videoguys.com/sonicfoundry.html#acid
Professional Music Creation on Your PC
ACID® Pro software is the ideal loop-based music composition and production tool for original music creation. Revolutionary since the first version, the tradition of innovation continues with version 5. Powerful new features and advanced functionality make ACID Pro 5 the most comprehensive application of its kind. ACID Pro software is the tool of choice for millions of industry professionals who want to create songs, remix tracks, produce 5.1 surround audio mixes, develop music beds, score videos, and much more. ACID software is ideal for real-time pitch-shifting, time-stretching, and groove quantization of audio and MIDI events. With new technologies and advanced professional features, ACID software provides the most powerful, user-friendly environment for everything from basic song creation to complex video scoring.

Gary

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
Re: Question about Music
on Apr 23, 2005 at 4:21:20 pm

On word sums up this whole topic: Shhhhhhh!!!!!

Acg, you can use the great programs that Videoguy suggests---BUT in doing weddings almost everyone wants to hear commerical music. The important dance songs (Bride/Groom, Bride/Father) to say the least. Is it legal? Nope. Is it going to land you in court? Nope. Unless you're selling thousands of copies of the wedding, it's not worth it to music labels to go after event videographers for using "Butterfly Kisses" in their film. Which, I must say, is the most over-played wedding song in the history of marriage.

I've done quite a few weddings now and I can't imagine making the film without commercial music. Besides, they're paying me to film and edit the footage--not to purchase music from me. That works, right?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]