FORUMS: list search recent posts

dual monitors or single widescreen for NLE?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JoeMik
dual monitors or single widescreen for NLE?
on Mar 23, 2005 at 11:43:13 pm

I'm pretty new to NLE - produced just a few short clips for family using MovieMaker to date. I'll be getting more serious about it this summer once my current contract expires.

My question is about monitors. I have an older 19" CRT driven by an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. The CRT is on its way out, and I'd like to replace it with an LCD setup. Costs aside, would you prefer to work with a singe, widescreen display when doing NLE? Or would multiple 4:3 displays be more efficient? I plan to use Adobe Premiere if that matters.

Return to posts index

Joeybear
Re: dual monitors or single widescreen for NLE?
on Apr 7, 2005 at 1:53:57 pm

I'm brand new to this video stuff myself, so if it were me, I'd be inclined to go with a single widescreen monitor. From a strictly common sense standpoint, it seems to me like it would be easier.

I hear all of this talk about how wonderful dual monitors are, and I'm sure they are, but widescreen seems better. But hey, that's just me Rolling Eyes

Hopefully some of the pros will post and give you a more definitive answer.

Return to posts index

Thira
Dual monitors
on Apr 7, 2005 at 5:49:38 pm

IMHO, Dual monitors are the best. Now, I am fairly new to NLE but have edited video projects the old-fashioned way, so I am kinda used to having alot of monitors around to see clips in various stages of editing.

Benefit: You can't beat it for video real estate since you can configure it any way you want, one big giant desktop or a copy of each other; You can edit in one monitor and see the output in the other; if you have collaborators working with you you can have them looking at the second monitor and not over your shoulder.

Drawbacks: needs a special dual-head card, e.g. Matrox Parhelia, that are not cheap; needs another monitor (though I got two 17" LCD for under $200 each & I don't know how big you were going to get a single monitor); for checking outputs one tends to use a TV or other display attached to output anyway to see about what the final product would look like; need more desk space for two monitors

Again, this was my thought process for deciding on dual monitors but just my opinion. Good luck.
Wink

Return to posts index

Harold Ek
Vote for Duals
on Apr 8, 2005 at 1:27:22 am

We have just been thru this using Prem.Pro, and here is my opinion (worth every bit you paid for it).

Rather than the extra width, we chose to use 2 19' LCD in a verical format.
With that, rather an a super long timeline, you can expand your tracks so that the rubber bands are more useable. Still plenty of room for effects and control windows at the right

Return to posts index

captainamerica77
Dual's
on Apr 9, 2005 at 9:53:49 am

I had dual 17" lcd's I did not like it at all for the 6months I tried it.
I have a 32" widescreen Lcd now And Like it Alot better.

I would not suggest ever used CRT's for a dual setup.

A dual setup Might work for most, But I hated it.

Just my own thoughts.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]