FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vaio for DV editing?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marie boyer
Sony Vaio for DV editing?
on Mar 10, 2005 at 3:21:42 pm

In terms of preconfigured computers, do you guys like a Sony Vaio (VAIO RB30)? I can get one with lots of good specs for $699 (could add a hard drive and video card later).

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: Sony Vaio for DV editing?
on Mar 10, 2005 at 11:09:52 pm

The system appears to be new and Sony doesn't publish some important spec's, such as motherboard make and the power supply. I would check with Sony to see if the power supply and cooling system would support a lot of add ons.

My year-old Vaio works fine for casual editing with Ulead's products even using integrated graphics and the system drive for capture. The power supply label says it has a 276W power supply.

Return to posts index

Jeanlefete
Re: Sony Vaio for DV editing?
on Apr 1, 2005 at 7:12:10 pm

I've had a Sony Vaio for a couple years and it does a passible job, but the more demanding I became with expanding projects, software etc. the more its limitations showed. But this is a 2 year old machine, what you are looking at may have a P4 and 1gig of ram, which would make it adequate. I am currently building one with P5P800 motherboard, P4 2.8, 160 gb SATA drive to start, and 1gig of Corsair 3200 ram. If you are looking to expand and upgrade, I would recommend a non-brand name computer built for video editing, with a Motherboard capable of having the CPU, and ram upgraded for at least the next few years. My problem with the Sony and a previous IBM Aptiva (in the 90s) is all the junk they put on with their operating systems that you either have to remove or disable to optimize for video editing. How nice to have a new operating system come up with no internet service icons, and other junk program icons!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]