FORUMS: list search recent posts

3 Building Q's: single/dualCPU? RAID? PCIe?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke
3 Building Q's: single/dualCPU? RAID? PCIe?
by
on Mar 6, 2005 at 3:13:44 am

Hi, firstly, thankyou so much for helping out!
Some advise on my new NLE setup would be GREATLY appreciated:

I'm a small scale video producer using a PD170 and the Adobe CS line.
Great article on the custom NLE. Looking at around £1300 ($2500) for everything but software. I find this computer lets me down when I am editing, particularly spending my life waiting for render progress bars to crawl across the screen. I also would like to reduce encoding times, and HOW nice it'd be to have media player sustian my sanity in the background while I work. Multitasking Premiere, PS, Audition, Encore, (& media player!) is important.

I'm still dumb about motherboards, and whether to go single or dual CPU. Isn't it more powerful AND cheaper to have 2 x 2ghz instead of 1 x 3.4ghz? Am I doing Intel..?
Would using a HT CPU mean I could leave Premiere encoding while being able to use other stuff with a sensible responsiveness?

I still am skeptical about how exactly I'm going to reap the benefits of RAID or PCIe, but I'd love to hear opinions.
Would you use the RAID0 striping as the scratch, or to capture, or what?

Finally, I'd love some info on real-time effects. Is it basically just scrubbing, but guarantees it will look export quality on playback? If you had the time and generousity to list some options for each component with advantages, I would kiss your feet.

Luke

Return to posts index

Rich
Re: 3 Building Q's: single/dualCPU? RAID? PCIe?
by
on Mar 9, 2005 at 9:37:18 pm

I am wanting to build a dual CPU machine, however I am waiting for the DIY3 article from videoguys. It may be overkill but I just like duals(more speed). My first machine was a dual P3 and encoding with TMPEG encoder was noticably faster. Not blazing but faster still. May not be cheaper but definitly faster.

PCIe has faster bus speed. For graphics cards this is a plus, especialy if you do any 3D animation or Gamers.

I have yet to experiment with RAID Arrays, but given that SATA drives have faster through-put and RAID0 splits the data between two or more drives, I would use it for rendering or scratch. If I have more than one RAID the other for Video Capture.

Real Time Effects from the timeline in Premiere Pro don't play out to DV out(firewire) until you render the timeline, unless you have some additional hardware. I am using Canopus DVStormRT2, it enables me to see real time effects output to its firewire port or analog output.

Hope this helps
Rich

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]