FORUMS: list search recent posts

questions regarding building a pc

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
furious george
questions regarding building a pc
on Feb 24, 2005 at 12:11:30 am

Hello all, new poster here

I am currently taking the Avid Video Editing courses at BCIT here in the Vancouver area, and I will also be building a computer for home use within the next month or so. I have a few questions about building a system and also using it for Avid since I will likely be purchasing that at the end of my courses (would like to try starting out as a freelance editor)

Since I am also a fanatical gamer, I wanted to build a gaming pc that would also have enough power for Avid, but I don't know if this would work.

I am wanting to build a 64bit amd pc (3800+), with 2 gigs of ram, 2 x 250gb sata hdd w/8mb cache, an audigy 2 zs and 2 x 6600gt (or 2 x 6800gt) pci-e video cards running in sli mode.

Now I know from my previous computer (stolen last week) that with the one video card I was able to use dual monitors by using the regular db connector to the first monitor, the dvi connector (with an adapter) to the second, and I still had the s video out on the card available.

Is anyone here able to tell me if this set up would allow me to run dual monitors and an s video out to a small tv so I could use the avid workstation, and also what I'm concerned about is if the avid software would actually run on these video cards or would I need an actual editing card?

Anything you all can tell me would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to spend the cash without knowing ahead of time if I'm going to run into problems,

thanks all!

Return to posts index

mshan
Re: questions regarding building a pc
on Feb 24, 2005 at 3:21:39 am

http://www.amdforums.com

Great resource!

Return to posts index

furious george
on Feb 25, 2005 at 3:13:25 pm

was kind of hoping that I'd be able to get an answer here, I was referred by the avid forums...guess I'll have to check somewhere else.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Feb 26, 2005 at 2:20:27 pm

just got back from vacation.

Avid doesn't recommend Athon systems - we do - as long as you take the extra steps to set it up and ttweak it right.

As far as your graphics card set up, you want to stick with nVidia based cards for best results with Avid. YOu dual card set-up should work for your gaming.

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]