FORUMS: list search recent posts

dell dimension upgrade?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marie boyer
dell dimension upgrade?
on Feb 17, 2005 at 11:11:37 am

I'm plugging away on my Dell 8100 with Studio 8(Pinnacle). It took me a while to work out all the bugs, but I've had a fun time working on all my projects. I've been thinking about upgrading my software and hardware. I wondering if I can get by simply upgrading my hardware as opposed to springing for a whole new system. I need your hardware advice.

I'm wondering if I can upgrade my current system to handle a software app. like Liquid Pro. I have an old P4 1.8Ghz processor (2001 Vintage) I not even sure of the Bus Speed, I would guess it's 400. I have upgraded the RAM to 768GB (old school RAM not DDR, which is a pair of the orig.128mb sticks and a new pair of 256's). I don't know if my older system would allow me to substitute DDR RAM for what I have, I would guess No? I also have an external 250GB Hard Drive, and 40GB main drive (NTFS), and Internal Sony DVD Burner. I'm running Window XP Home Edition. My current Video Card is the original AGP 32MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 4X w/TV Out. I use the Pinnacle Capture Card I got with Studio 8. I don't have any problems with Dropped Frames. With the exception of my very first attempt, my system never crashes or locks up during rendering.

Do you think If I upgraded my Video Card (something dual head with on board RAM, and also upgraded my Power Supply to handle the card, that I could expect to run Liquid Pro? I'm thinking that the processor on the Video Card would make up for the lower speed of the main processor. I guess I could buy a little more RAM for the first two slots, I'm just hesitant to go down this road if this money is better spent on a new system. I don't need a screaming machine, just one that will get the job done and be stable. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]