FORUMS: list search recent posts

Windows XP Pro vs. XP Home for video editing?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mshan
Windows XP Pro vs. XP Home for video editing?
on Feb 6, 2005 at 5:05:50 pm

I read in the DIY section that VideoGuys recommends XP Pro because of networking and hyperthreading.

If I am not going to network this computer, will XP Home work as well as XP Pro with any of the high end video editing software packages?

(I am under the impression that hyperthreading is also available in XP Home)

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Windows XP Pro vs. XP Home for video editing?
on Feb 6, 2005 at 8:48:55 pm

You're correct. Per Intel, Windows XP Home does support hyperthreading, but does not support multiple processors, which will be an issue when the new multicore processors come out this year.

At the last Adobe demo I witnessed, their demo machine was a dual hyperthreading Xeon, which produced very impressive performance for both Premiere Pro and After Effects. As I'm becoming more involved in using After Effects, I will probably be upgrading from my dual Athlon machine to a new multicore later this year.

Return to posts index

mshan
on Feb 6, 2005 at 8:58:13 pm

Assuming that I am not going to create a network or dual processors (because of cost), will there be any performance hit with using Windows XP Home with any of the current high end video editing software programs?

Return to posts index

John Q
on Feb 6, 2005 at 11:55:51 pm

Matrox, Adobe and Canopus all specify either Windows XP Home or Pro. Avid specifies XP Pro only. If you're looking at Avid, then you have to use Pro.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]