FORUMS: list search recent posts

CPU horsepower vs. memory bandwidth?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mshan
CPU horsepower vs. memory bandwidth?
on Feb 6, 2005 at 5:03:36 pm

Which is more important for a video editing computer, maximal cpu power (e. g. overclocking a P4 3.0c to fsb250 with 2 x 512 MB premium meory) or maximal amounts of memory (4 x 512 MB value ram, with cpu and memory both at fsb 200)?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: CPU horsepower vs. memory bandwidth?
on Feb 6, 2005 at 8:14:22 pm

the best solution is both. Rather then max out one or the other, step up both if you can. I do not like running with less than a full GB of RAM, and we are now putting 2GB in all our DIY machines.

If you have a computer already, running less than a GB of RAM, adding more RAM is the #1 recommendation for upgrading and better performance.

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

John Q
on Feb 6, 2005 at 8:57:12 pm

More memory, but faster disc I/O is usually the real limiting factor. Video requires massive disc transfers, so faster discs help. RAID sounds good, but really doesn't help much, as any single drive is more than fast enough for video editing. The trick is to read from one drive/channel and write to a different drive/channel, which is why Matrox recommends a three-drive system: boot, video, export.

Return to posts index

mshan
on Feb 6, 2005 at 9:01:25 pm

What type of performance gains could I expect to see (video editing) when jumping from 1 GB to 2 GB RAM?

Also, what difference would overclocking my P4 3.0c to ~ 3.5 or 3.6 gHz make? (fsb also increased from 200 to ~240, with 2 x 512MB RAM)?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]