FORUMS: list search recent posts

This setup. This problem. Anyone. Any tips?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
drbgaijin
This setup. This problem. Anyone. Any tips?
on Jan 28, 2005 at 1:09:39 am

I am not sure if this is the correct Forum to post this in....but here goes.......

Motherboard: Tyan S2668 Tiger i7505
Dual Intel Xeon 2.8GHz (FSB533MHz)
2 GB DDR, Dual channel memory

Graphic card: Radeon 9600 Pro 256GB, DDR, memory

Sound: I am using the motherboards "onboard" sound

Hard Drives for video editing: 2 Serial ATA 200GB drives.
The drives are not striped!
I am using one for Logging and the other is set for rendering.
Each of the drives (according to SciSoft Sandra) has a drive index of 50MB/s, Performance Test 5.0 gives results of Sequential Read 53.3MB/s, Sequential Write 54.1 MB/s.

As far as I can determine I am using tha latest drivers for the Motherboard and graphics card.

Problem: When playing back the timeline the computer "freezes" completely.
The only way to get things moving again is to switch off the power and re-boot.

The freeze does not usually happen if there is only 1 clip on the timeline (no matter how long it is)
It is most likely to happen when several clips are on the timeline.
It seems to freeze a few milliseconds after it passes the junction between 2 clips (whether there is a transition applied or not at this point does not seem to matter)
It does not freeze at the same place everytime.
At first I thought maybe there is some overheating...... but the freeze can occur on a cold newly booted run.
Logging, Fusing etc all run problem free.

History: I started off using FAST StudioDV quite a few years ago. Then when the editing world passed me and HDTV came into existence I decided I must upgrade to Liquid Edition 6 - this meant upgrading my OS from Windows 2000 Pro to Windows XP Pro.
One of the first things I found out when I installed Edition onto the new OS was that XP had very many "automatic" processes running - screen savers, power savers, automatic updates etc. So one of the first things I did was to turn off as many as I could find.
I have now printed out VideoGuys help documents on Tweaking and Tuning up Windows XP for video editing.
I will work my way through the tips.

PINNACLE customer support is a big disappointment!
I sent them information about my problem 1 month ago.
Apart from the automatic response "that my question had been received and that they would get back to me as soon as possible" there has been no reply!!!

Anybody out there have a similar setup? or have had a similar problem? or has any tips as to any settings I may have missed?

Return to posts index

drbgaijin
A solution
on Apr 14, 2005 at 4:09:41 pm

After 4 months I can now post a reply to myself!

Pinnacle Support finally contacted me 3 months after I asked their support about the problem.
But they did answer.
I exchanged a lot of emails and got lots of tips - none of them fixed the problem.
Then in an act of desperation - I bought a new hard-drive....installed Windows XP Pro on it and then Edition Liquid 6 plus the upgrade to Edition 6.1.
No other programmes, except "EnditAll" a small programme that Pinnacle Support had recommended to turn off the many background tasks that were running in XP.

Everything worked like clockwork!

Now I have a PC that does editing again.
But there are no other programmes on the system!
I have been told that it is the price you may have to pay (if you use Liquid Edition).
I am happy however, as:
1) Pinnacle support did try and help in the end
2) I now can use this excellent software
3) I have my system set up with removable drives......so I just have to switch the new OS drive with the older one when I want to use the other programmes I need in the video work.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: This setup. This problem. Anyone. Any tips?
on Apr 23, 2005 at 5:05:47 pm

The LE 6.1 updater has fixed many, in fact almost all, of the problems users are experiencing.

As you learned, installing 6.1 on a clean XP install is the best way to do it.

LE 6.1 is a fantastic product. Give it a fast computer with a top notch 3D graphics card and watch out!! Incredible performance, stability and features.

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]