FORUMS: list search recent posts

Videoguy's DIY system - ATI 9800 Pro?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sthack
Videoguy's DIY system - ATI 9800 Pro?
on Jan 18, 2005 at 8:59:06 pm

I'm considering building a system along the lines of the Videoguy's DIY $1000/over-budget one, but I'm looking at the ATI All-in-Wonder 9800 Pro card instead of the PNY. I'd be using for DV, but I also have a ton of analog video that I'd like to do some simple editing to (trimming, transitions, music-over) and burn to DVD. I'm new to digital editing, any comments on this card, or other recommendations for inputting & working with analog video?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Videoguy's DIY system - ATI 9800 Pro?
on Jan 18, 2005 at 10:57:34 pm

we're just not big fams of the all in wonder cards. I'd rather see you use a straight ATI AGP card, then get the Pyro AV Link w/ Premeire Elements or Pinnacle Moviebox w/ Studio 9 software.

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

sthack
on Jan 19, 2005 at 3:49:22 pm

Thanks, I'll look into those. The ATI just looked like a simple all-around solution, but as this system will be used primarily for video editing, mostly from analog at this point, I do want the best card for the application. For my purposes, just trimming, rearranging & transitions for the most part, would I always need to bring the analog in DV as .avi files, or could I just encode directly to MPEG-2? We've got a lot of video on VHS, SVHS, and 8mm/Hi8mm that I'd like to clean up and get onto DVD.

Return to posts index

sydc
by
on Jan 20, 2005 at 6:26:04 pm

The ATI 9800 All In Wonder Pro is a good card for the gamer but not for analogue video capture. The main problem with this card on video capture is the very sensitive macrovision detection which I found to 'false trigger' when home video scenes were played through the card resulting in intermittent brightness variations. In the end I purchased the Canopus ADVC300 and a fire-wire card, this instantly solved these problems. The ATI card is now a very expensive standard grapghics card.

Return to posts index

sthack
on Jan 20, 2005 at 8:40:34 pm

Thanks for the input, yeah, no point in paying for the ATI if I'm going to end up needing a separate converter or input card anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]