FORUMS: list search recent posts

how do i know if my cpu uses Hyperthreading

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
digiv
how do i know if my cpu uses Hyperthreading
on Jan 17, 2005 at 2:11:56 pm

I have a 2 year old intel P4 3.6 GHz cpu how do i know if it uses Hyperthreading technologie.

Return to posts index

Jon Oransky
Re: how do i know if my cpu uses Hyperthreading
on Jan 17, 2005 at 3:52:53 pm

i believe anything processor over 2.8gig supports Hyperthreading. i would check on the speed of your processor though if you got it 2 years ago.

- Jon

http://www.videoguys.com
800-323-2325 x120

Return to posts index

digiv
on Jan 17, 2005 at 10:16:00 pm

ok i checked it with a utility tool that intel offers and it does support hyperthreading tech. so my other ? is that i want to built a dual processor system so can i use this old one with a new one on my new system or they have to be exactly alike. thanks for ur help

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jan 18, 2005 at 4:51:37 am

Dual processors have to be exactly the same. Be aware that the Pentium 4 is not designed for dual processor operation. Intel designed the Xeon for multiprocessor systems.

Return to posts index

dailyrushes
on Feb 21, 2005 at 6:15:19 am

Interstingly enough, I have a 2.8 Pentium 4 with the DIY-recommended ASUS P4C-800 deluxe motherboard with an 800mhz fsb, when I put in two strips of memory (1ghz, 400 mhz) I was suprised to find out the system thinks I have dual processors!

I mentioned this to a computer repair place and they said "Dual Channel" as the only reply. And the waveforms in Task manager ARE different, so apparently the mobo is acting as if it's a dual processor computer. I doubt this is exactly the same as a dual processor computer but the speed did jump significantly in my observation. With two 400 mhz strips of memory the front side bus goes to 800 mhz!

Return to posts index

jmkraft
on Feb 22, 2005 at 2:35:00 am

"the system thinks I have dual processors!"

I believe that is because your processor is HT. My dual Xeon shows as 4 processors...

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Feb 26, 2005 at 2:24:28 pm

A Hyperthreaded CPU will show up as dual processors. That's what hyperthreading does. It splits your CPU into two virtual CPUs, and spreads the load between them.

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]