FORUMS: list search recent posts

NEED ADVICE ON DIGITAL HD BASED RECORDER

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
msmrinc
NEED ADVICE ON DIGITAL HD BASED RECORDER
on Jan 14, 2005 at 1:11:04 am

Hello,
I'm brand new to this forum, so be patient. I currently run a small Computer and A/V Rental Services firm in Wisconsin. I've recently (last 9 months or so) began doing legal video (depositions and so forth), utilizing a Canon GL2, Rolls 4 Ch Mixer, Lapel Mics, a couple standard VCRs and a composite Time/Date generator. It's pretty neat work, and I'll attain my certification from the National Court Reporters of America in a couple months.

So, with that said, I'm going to start aggressively marketing this new service, and would like to offer my clients the best possible video quality and service possible. As stated above, I'm simply using a couple VHS decks rights now (second unit is for redundency), as most of my current clients only want VHS Tape. However, I'm reading the writing on the wall, and I'm getting more requests for digital video, be it DVD or simply MPEG1 files on CD. Anyway, I currently use this little ADS box to digitize video off of my VCR, and then I have to convert it and so on. This takes a lot of time, and since my Canon GL2 offers IEEE1394 out, I'd like to simply start going to a Harddisk based recorder, then out to a VCR, allowing me to simply burn the video onto DVD for archival purposes and give the VHS tape to the client as the master. Also, it will make it much easier to offer it as a DVD or CD, should the client request that later.

Now, here's where I'm not finding a whole lot out there. I'd like something with either a very large HD (120GB or more), maybe even the ability to upgrade the HD to an even bigger drive if I want. Also, if someone makes one that can rack-mount, that would be even better. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. (BTW, it would be even better if it had a built-in Time/Date generator).

Return to posts index

obioneballi
Re: NEED ADVICE ON DIGITAL HD BASED RECORDER
on Jan 14, 2005 at 2:10:42 am

What about just plugging in your camera to your PC, and using a really simple capture program to capture video directly through the firewire interface. What I mean is, sit your camera near your PC, and hook it up to the PC. Begin recording the live feed off the camera straight to your PC, and then you'll be able to export it to tape or encode it. There's also a really sweet piece of gear called "firestore" (I think videoguys.com sell some) which mounts to some cameras and is literally a hard drive that works through your cameras firewire port. When you begin recording, you're recording directly to disk - saving capture time. I also want to say you can encode straight to MPEG or QT as well as AVI files with some models. They just released a new model (or will be) the FS-4 I think, which is small enough that you could clip it to your belt. I suppose it really depends on how much movement you need with the camera. Heck, you could even setup a laptop with a firewire interface and capture that way. Something really simple like Pinnacle Studio 9 would be great and inexpensive.

Return to posts index

msmrinc
on Jan 14, 2005 at 1:44:37 pm

obioneballi,

Hey, thanks for the input. However, I've already attempted that, and the only two problems I have is that by capturing directly to a PC, I don't have the realtime video/audio out to my VCR on-site redundency, and I've yet to find video capture software that will allow me to add the Time/Date stamp on the video, which is extremely important.

My guess is that I really need a dedicated video capture unit with video/audio out jacks and the Time/Date generator I need so badly.

Thanks,
Arthur

Return to posts index

obioneballi
on Jan 14, 2005 at 2:18:00 pm

Okay, what about a simple analog capture device - the ADS Pyro gear with the S-Video and RCA jacks. You could do what you're doing now, you'd just have to split the signal to both the VCRs and the capture box. That would work, right?

Return to posts index

msmrinc
on Jan 14, 2005 at 3:04:33 pm

obioneballi,

Thanks once again for the input. I've actually set up my rig that way, and it works fine, however, what I'm attempting to do here is capture the video at the absolute highest quality that my camera allows, which is approx. 525 lines. If I capture video through an external Composite or S-Video device, I'm degrading my video down to 400 lines at best. So, I'm really needing to output video from my camera via the IEEE 1394 port. Also, it's critical that I be able to add the time/date stamp onto the video as it's being recorded, and most of the aftermarket T/D Gen. are only composite or s-video, which again, defeats the purpose.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Arthur

Return to posts index

obioneballi
on Jan 14, 2005 at 3:21:42 pm

Okay, here's my next idea - have the interviewee hold a clock along with the date. :)

Return to posts index

rwm24kau
on Jan 27, 2005 at 6:18:39 am

I think if you check the GL2 manual, it has a built-in time-date stamp. My XL-1 has it. All you have to do is locate it in the menue and turn it on and set it!Smile

rwm24kau

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]