FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dedicated Video Hard Drive

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rod
Dedicated Video Hard Drive
by
on Jan 3, 2005 at 3:03:59 am

As I buy my new Dell Dimension 8400 system, I've been strongly advised to have a dedicated hard drive (160+ MB, 7200+ RPM) for my home-video editing (I'm a newbie). Is it better to get an internal HD or an external HD?

Thanks!

Rod

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Dedicated Video Hard Drive
on Jan 3, 2005 at 4:27:06 am

Internal. The typical external hard drive is USB, which is not fast enough for DV without occasionally dropping frames.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Jan 3, 2005 at 12:04:48 pm

There are firewire and USB 2 external drives all over the market today. Still, I would prefer an internal drive.

Return to posts index

Rod
by
on Jan 6, 2005 at 2:26:25 am

Thanks, guys, for the guidance. Internal it will be!

Return to posts index

KienDVD
on Jan 9, 2005 at 12:04:43 am

Hi,

I did that.

I put a new 120GB HD 7200 in my Dell (pentium4 2.8GHx) but there is some problem with the new drive. I do not know why. It is very slow and causes dropped frames. I simply cannot record directly into it. Is it because I formatted the drive as FATS32 and not NTFS or something? Is it because of Dell's hardware?

TIA.

Kien

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jan 9, 2005 at 2:14:36 am

First, Dell computers prefer to have their IDE devices configured as Cable Select (CS).

Second, a standard ATA drive configured as your video drive should be on the secondary IDE port, and not on the same port as your boot drive. You'll have to replace the existing secondary IDE cable, as the existing one isn't long enough to reach from the hard drive cage to the cd/dvd drive.

Third, FAT32 formatting limits the size of your projects. NTFS formatting does not. NTFS is also less affected by fragmentation than FAT32.

Return to posts index

KienDVD
on Jan 9, 2005 at 7:17:55 am

Dear John Q,

Thanks for your advice. As you could probably tell, I am an utterly ignorant novice!

1. What is Cable Select? How do I do this?
2. I'll buy the longer cable tomorrow!
3. I'll reformat the drive.

Thanks again.

Kien

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jan 9, 2005 at 4:01:32 pm

The drive jumpers have settings for Master and Slave, which are the "normal" settings. There's another one identified on the drive for "Cable Select", which uses the cable plug that's attached to the drive to determine the master/slave setting. The plug at the end of the cable is the master. The plug in the middle is the slave.

Return to posts index

KienDVD
on Jan 12, 2005 at 12:00:56 am

Yeeehaaa!
I did it.
The long IDE cable costs $30 (Australian)- but it works!
It is now PERRRFECT!
Thanks so much, John Q - without your guidance I'd waste a lot more money buying a new setup :-)

Now my next question:
I use NeroVision to capture the DV pictures from Sony HandyCam.
It asks me if I want to capture in DV or DVD.
I only want to put the video on DVD for home viewing - would DVD (much smaller size) suffice?

Kien

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jan 12, 2005 at 1:10:30 am

I usually do significant editing, so I capture most of my video to DV format, do my editing, transcode the edited video to MPEG2 IBP format, do my DVD authoring, and burn the DVD(s).

DVD formatted video is more compressed than DV with a variable compression rate that is not suitable for editing.

If I'm just trying to back up a video to DVD, like my old VHS tapes, I typically use my Panasonic DMR-E80H to capture the video to its hard drive, do my simple cuts, and burn the DVD.

Return to posts index

KienDVD
on Jan 12, 2005 at 7:01:08 am

Thanks, John.
I am glad to have found this forum.

Return to posts index

sthack
on Jan 19, 2005 at 8:36:15 pm

John Q,

You mentioned doing simple cuts on your DMR-E80H. I'm looking at upgrading my Panasonic recorder to a unit with a hard drive, possibly the DMR-E85HS, can you tell me how well your unit works for doing simple trimming of video? I assume that it's not actually trimming the video on the hard drive, but just marking the location of the "cuts" for burning to the disk? Thanks

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jan 20, 2005 at 3:23:47 am

You can either permanently edit the video, dividing it into separate files that will correspond to chapters when written to DVD and removing snippets of video, or you can create play lists, specifying in and out points of video clips to compile into a seamless single video.

When you burn the DVD, you can select various modes to write the DVD. If you captured it in DVD compliant mode and it will fit on a single DVD, you can select high speed burning. However, high speed equals 2X, so it's not much faster, and you can't watch the video as it writes. You can pick various speeds, XP = 1 hour, SP = 2 hour, etc., or you can choose FR, flexible record. FR speed is resampled to optimize the video to the best rate to fit it on the full DVD. If the program is something I wish to keep, I'll usually record it at XP speed on the hard drive, do my editing, and then do FR mode to burn the DVD. When you don't use high speed mode, chapter markers are automatically added every five minutes.

Return to posts index

sthack
on Jan 20, 2005 at 4:07:20 pm

John Q,

Thanks, sounds like the unit will do what I want. Difficult to find any information on specifically how the different recorders function in edit mode, etc. I recently bought & then returned a JVC unit, quality of the recordings was fine, but it was limited as far as editing capability, could create playlists only but not actually trim the video to create separate files/chapters on the hard drive prior to burning to DVD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]