FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which Video Card for New Dell PC?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rod
Which Video Card for New Dell PC?
by
on Jan 3, 2005 at 2:59:54 am

I'm buying a new Dell Dimension 8400 PC on which I want to do some home-video type video editing (I'm a newbie). Here are my video card options. I'm leaning toward Option 1, the ATI Radeonâ„¢ X300 SE for cost reasons. Am I being smart about this?

Option 1 -- 128MB PCI Expressâ„¢ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeonâ„¢ X300 SE (no extra cost)

Option 2 -- 256MB PCI Expressâ„¢ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800 [add $162]

Option 3 -- 256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) Nvidia® GeForce 6800 GTO Graphics Card [add $297] Dell Recommended

Option 4 -- 256MB PCI Expressâ„¢ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeonâ„¢ X800 XT [add $351]

Thanks!

Rod

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Which Video Card for New Dell PC?
on Jan 3, 2005 at 4:31:05 am

It depends on your video digitizer/editing choice. If you add a realtime digitizer board, like the RT.X100, most of the effects are performed by the X100, so the video card may not have much impact.

However, you should decide your video editing system, as that hardware/software choice will usually have compatibility issues with the rest of the hardware.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Jan 3, 2005 at 12:00:22 pm

For a "newbie", option 1 should be just fine. It certainly is more capable than the majority of graphics cards in a lot of video editing computers still in use today. Use some of the money you save to get the separate IEEE-1394/firewire card Dell offers.

On the other hand, if you plan on diving in the deep end immediately and going for a real-time card,one of the professional editing programs or doing a lot of special effects/compositing, check with the RT card/software manufacturer first.

Return to posts index

Rod
by
on Jan 6, 2005 at 2:29:05 am

Once again, guys, thanks for the help. Boy, this is complicated stuff!

Return to posts index

KienDVD
on Jan 9, 2005 at 7:23:54 am

Hi Rod,
I am in the same boat as you!
You're smarter by doing research before you buy.
I went and bought an expensive Dell with all the hoo-haas (fantastic deals etc.) only to find out (at home alone) it does not have the bits I needed to do home video editing.
Then I bought a separate drive that is slow and now needs reconfiguring and new IDE cables, blah blah ...
Oooh, Woe is me!
To the Video_DVD-Gods,
I am thinking to ditching the lot and start a new "has-it-all" system. How do I start?
Thanks.
Kien

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jan 9, 2005 at 4:04:56 pm

First decide what editing solution you want. I have a Matrox RT.X100 realtime system, which has very strict compatibility requirements. Once you decide your editing system, just follow the manufacturer's system recommendations.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]