FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing old VHS videos

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jsettle1981
Capturing old VHS videos
on Jan 1, 2005 at 5:02:56 am

I'm having trouble capturing old VHS tapes to my computer for edit w/out having the problem of video/audio sync/dropped frame issues. I could record it to a mini-DV tape then capture it, but that is way time consuming. I have Premiere Pro 1.5 with a Pyro A/V Link Breakout box. What do I need to be able to capture these old VHS tapes with out the problems described above?

Thanks,
Jamie

Return to posts index

KienDVD
Re: Capturing old VHS videos
on Jan 9, 2005 at 12:09:18 am

Hi,

I don't think you can do much.

I also tried different settings etc but nothing helped.

The problem is that the VHS keeps rolling away when your PC tries to catch bits of the the images at a time.

If there were such a software to monitor and slow down the VHS when the PC's buffer is being fully drained ... then maybe .. just maybe...

Kien

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jan 9, 2005 at 2:16:50 am

Are you capturing to a dedicated video capture drive on your secondary IDE channel? You can't capture to a drive on the same port as your boot drive without dropping frames, as Windows will always take priority access.

Return to posts index

darksilicon35
on Jan 14, 2005 at 7:46:31 am

This might be too expensive for you, but I use a panasonic AG-DS850 VTR (VCR) outputting component video to an AGC and a Blackburst Generator to a DV25 Converter, just hit play and capture away.

alternatively, JVC makes a very nice 1300 dollar minidv / svhs vcr, with firewire in / out and it records and transcodes back and forth with digital component video inside and a beautiful agc, with DNR, and Timebase correction.

- Darksilicon35

AVID xPress PRO HD w/ Mojo on Athlon 64 FX :)

Return to posts index

obioneballi
on Jan 14, 2005 at 2:12:05 pm

That's what I'm using and GOD is it nice! :)

Return to posts index

Eastonfmly
on Jan 18, 2005 at 12:47:47 pm

I have a similar question. I have old VHS tapes and have been looking at various Capture cards/devices and software. I also have a Panasonic DVDR which has a VHS Player/REcorder. If I burn a DVD straight from the VHS, can I then use an NLE to clean and edit the video? Also, for a newbie is there a program that is better at cleaning up older videos (poor lighting, contrast, etc.)

TIA

Jim

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jan 19, 2005 at 2:50:35 am

Cyberlink PowerProducer can edit DVD-RAM discs from your Panasonic DVR, although you're basically limited to trimming clips, which you can already do on the DVR.

Unfortunately, DVD's are compressed with a variable type compression that does not lend itself well to editing. If you want to do more serious editing, you'll have to use a utility to convert the video back to editable AVI files and suffer the quality loss from recompressing it.

Return to posts index

sydc
by
on Jan 20, 2005 at 6:35:24 pm

I use the Canopus ADVC300 and a fire-wire card capturing VHS PAL video to Vegas 5.0b and a seperate 160Gb hard drive, large drive required as the file format is AVI. Had no problems with this set up in fact in some cases the resulting captured video appears better that the original.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]