FORUMS: list search recent posts

motherboard choices

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
captaint
motherboard choices
on Jan 1, 2005 at 12:43:40 am

My uncle is building me a computer to use with NLE. We are having difficulty deciding on the motherboard: These have been recommended by guys at computer stores.
Abit AI7
Abit IC7-G
Intel Box D685 PERLL
One computer friend says intel are the most stable and relaible. What about overclocking capabilities?

We are going with intel P4 3.0ghz 865 chipset, 800 Fside bus and 1gig single channel memory for now.

Any recommendations other than the ASUS in your article that we should consinder or stay away from.

Thanks,
T

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: motherboard choices
on Jan 1, 2005 at 4:48:22 am

Abit is rumored to be having some financial challenges, so they may not be a good long-term choice. Most Intel motherboards are actually fabricated by Asus, who makes more motherboards than anyone else. All I've used for several years is Asus and have been happy with them. Their support site provides updated bios and drivers for every board they've ever made.

Forget overclocking a P4. They're already running on the ragged edge.

Return to posts index

captaint
on Jan 3, 2005 at 12:08:24 am

THANKS FOR THE FAST RESPONSE

TO PICK YOUR BRAIN A BIT MORE?
-FOR THE 865 CHIPSET, WOULD YOU THEN RECCOMMEND THE ASUS P4P800-E DELUX?
-IN THE COST VS PERFORMANCE BALANCE...IS THERE A BIG PERFORMANCE INCREASE BETWEEN THE 865 VS 875 CHIPSET??

THANKS AGAIN,
T

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jan 3, 2005 at 2:04:21 am

Your motherboard choice may hinge on what NLE system you choose. Some high performance realtime systems, like my RT.X100, have very specific compatibility issues. For an RT.X100 system, I only recommend building a system that Matrox has already validated and following their instructions precisely.

I recommend you decide what type of system you want, i.e. the digitizer and software, and then check the manufacturer's website for motherboard/plugin card compatibility issues.

Return to posts index

captaint
on Jan 3, 2005 at 7:05:16 am

Well that's just it, I don't exactly know right now. For now I will probably use Adobe Premier 6.0 and think about the real time capabilities and upgrade to Adobe pro at a later date. I did check and the Asus P4P800-E delux is on the list for the matrox rt x100. I was just planning to use the capture function on the motherboard for now, but I don't want to cut myself out for upgrades later?? What to do?

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jan 3, 2005 at 7:57:27 pm

If you are considering a possible future upgrade to a Matrox RT.X100, then I would definitely recommend you build a system using Matrox's validated components.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]