FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I connect my Sony Digital Handycam to my PC

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rod
How do I connect my Sony Digital Handycam to my PC
by
on Dec 31, 2004 at 6:58:19 pm

I'm buying a new PC, and want to be able to conenct my 4 year old Sony Handycam to it as the input for video editing. The Handycam is a DCR-TRV103 model, Digital 8, and has an S-video output as well as a DV out/in port that can accept an i.LINK cable.

What do I need on the new PC to accept input from this camera? Is it an IEEE1394 port or something else? And will a Firewire card handle the Digital 8 input via the i.LINK cable?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: How do I connect my Sony Digital Handycam to m
on Dec 31, 2004 at 7:59:47 pm

While you can connect your s-video and digitize it separately using a PC video digitizer, your video is already digital in the camcorder, so all you need is a firewire board, like the ADS Pyro. The Pyro works, but I found I got tired of waiting for video to render, so I upgraded to a Matrox RT2000 and later to an RT.X100 to give me realtime effects.

One thing you will need is a separate hard drive on your secondary IDE port to store your video files. Make it large, as DV uses 13 GB per hour of video.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Dec 31, 2004 at 11:42:12 pm

If your i.LINK cable is 4-pin at both ends, then you may need a 4-pin to 6-pin cable to connect to most computers with IEEE-1394 ports. Sony Vaio's are the only ones I know of that have the 4-pin i.LINK (IEEE-1394) ports.

You should be aware that your camcorder came out before Windows XP did and is not listed as being XP compatible by Microsoft.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Jan 1, 2005 at 4:39:30 am

I used to have a TRV-103, and it worked with Windows 2000 with the Pyro and RT2000 cards and with Windows XP with my RT.X100.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
on Jan 2, 2005 at 1:38:10 am

Okay, then what is needed is a firewire cable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]