FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Card Question

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brittonv
Video Card Question
on Dec 14, 2004 at 9:04:00 pm

First and foremost, Wow what a resource this site is! Thank You!!!

Now on to my question.
I am getting ready to build a PC with Video Editing in mind. I will be using it for gaming and general stuff but as for choice of components a lot of it has to do with gaming.

I had intended to go with a GeForce 6600GT Video Card. Upon reading the Challenge I I discovered that the builder seeked out an Quadro4 card for OpenGL. In researching this I found out that the Quadro4 is designed for OpenGL performance. While the 6600GT has "Full API Support for OpenGL including OpenGL 1.5" would I be better served to get a Quadro4 instead? What performance differences should I expect?

Thanks you for your time and this site.

Sincerely,
Vince

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: Video Card Question
on Dec 15, 2004 at 3:33:02 am

Video editing is a two dimensional video task. A high performance 3D card won't help. You'll find it more important to have more desktop work area by having a video card that supports more than one monitor.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Dec 15, 2004 at 9:54:38 pm

Nor entirely correct. The latest videoe diting apps like Pinnacle Liquid Edition, Avid Xpress, Boris FX and After FX all take advantage of OpenGL power from a 3D graphics card.

We recommend the Quadro cards very highly. The new PNY Quadro 540 looks to be a great card for those with PCI-X systems.

Make sure you get a dual head card - once you go to dual monitors you'll wonder how you ever survived withput them ;-)

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

Jobiwan
on Dec 30, 2004 at 7:44:19 am

I have a related question, the only Quadro4 280nvs (is this an nVidia based chipset?) card I can source is a Leadtek. Is this a good brand? What about other Quadro4 cards. Gary mentioned the 580. And if not, Jon talked about ATI Radeon based cards what would be a good make to try?

Arhhhh, so many questions!

Return to posts index

KentC
on Jan 17, 2005 at 7:18:14 pm

I really don't understand Videoguy's insistence on pushing Quadro cards. They are specialized cards suited to 2D apps and are way overpriced for a typical consumer since their target market is business.

You also harp on "dual head" cards in connection with the Quadros, which might give beginners the impression that the two are somehow linked. The fact is, almost all modern consumer video cards are also dual head. The lower priced ones have one analog and one DVI, the higher priced ones have two DVI.

If you are building a dedicated video editing machine a Quadro card or its equivalent might be worth considering. But if you are building a home machine that will be used for editing and other apps (which is what the Videoguys' new "Big Blue" build it yourself box will be used for) stay away from the Quadros and stick with mainstream consumer cards like the ATI 300/700/800 or NVIDIA 6600/6800. These are all fully capable Open GL cards. I doubt if you will see any difference in your editing and you will have much more all around power for the same or less money.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jan 17, 2005 at 7:56:22 pm

While our DIY machines are for more than just video editing, the primary purpose is for just that. That's why we favor Quadro cards in our DIY articles. The most important thing we were trying to "push" is the new PCI-E bus. I'm going to update the article with a list of other, less expensive PCI-E choices.

You are correct, there are many other very good 3D Open GL cards on the market. We found several dual-head PCIe cards based on the nVideo GeForce6600 and the ATI X700 chipsets that you can buy for around $200. I personally favor nVidia, but that's more because of their consistant driver updates and ease of updating to the very latest drivers.

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]