FORUMS: list search recent posts

finalizing setup on new system

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BubRamone
finalizing setup on new system
on Dec 9, 2004 at 12:53:27 pm

Greetings all

after years away from NLE I finally decided to jump back in and build another system. Amazing how things have changed since I build a top-of-the-line PII 350 with EditBay (been a videoguys vip member since 1997) and Promise fastrack raid.

Anyway my question is about the right configuration to go with. I have a 160GB seagate ATA and a 200GB Seagate SATA drive. I was wondering if I should go with SATA for a system drive and just put the ATA drive in another system I was going to sell.

Will the 7200 sata HDD work with no dropped frames even with analog capture on my ACDVio card? I've done quite a bit of reading but am still confused on this manner. I have no problems buying another drive, as the sata was originally going to be the capture drive. Will the performance be inproved as a system drive and what drives will give me the most bang for my buck? Also my PERLK intel board has raid but I'm a little hesitant about setting that up if a single drive can do the trick.

While I'm at it, what software do you recommend to go with the ACDVio card? I'm torn between Vegas, Liquid Video. I had looked at Let's Edit and am unsure if it's too basic. I used the software which came with my EditBay when I last edited.

Use will be editing PAL/NTSC home movies and possible projects for work, then burn to DVD.

A local producer said don't buy Avid since the vegas is so much user friendly. He said it always locked up on them.

Thanks for any advice.

P4 3.2E
INTEL 865PERLK mobo
ZALMAN CNPS7000A
Corsair 2GB DDR
Rosewill TU-155 case
XP Pro
160GB SEAGATE ST3160021A HDD
200GB SEAGATE SATA HDD
12X LITEON DVD+/-RW
AUDIGY 2ZS
dual Samsung 710N monitors
Canopus ACDVio capture card

Return to posts index

BubRamone
Re: finalizing setup on new system
on Dec 13, 2004 at 12:34:12 pm

Since I didn't get a response I decided to go with the SATA for the system disk and now need another drive for video. I'm thinking a 250-300GB SATA 7200. Is it really worth the money to get a smaller-sized raptor SATA 10,000 or equivilent?

What video drive do you recommend for this setup and what software do you recommend?

P4 3.2E 800MHz
INTEL 865PERLK mb
ZALMAN 7000A
Corsair 2GB DDR 400MHz
Radeon 9800Pro
Rosewill TU-155 case
XP Pro
200GB SEAGATE SATA
12X LITEON DVD+/-RW
AUDIGY 2ZS

Return to posts index

BubRamone
on Dec 13, 2004 at 12:37:09 pm

Since I didn't get a response I decided to go with the SATA for the system disk and now need another drive for video. I'm thinking a 250-300GB SATA 7200. Is it really worth the money to get a smaller-sized raptor SATA 10,000 or equivilent?

What video drive do you recommend for this setup and what software do you recommend?

P4 3.2E 800MHz
INTEL 865PERLK mb
ZALMAN 7000A
Corsair 2GB DDR 400MHz
Radeon 9800Pro
Rosewill TU-155 case
XP Pro
200GB SEAGATE SATA
12X LITEON DVD+/-RW
AUDIGY 2ZS

Return to posts index

obioneballi
on Dec 13, 2004 at 1:54:08 pm

I have a similar configuration and I actually have a Raptor 36.7GB SATA 10kRPM drive as my OS drive and have found it to be quite fast - and with it being smaller in space it forces me to keep all the extras on other drive, which in my opinion increases overall performance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]