FORUMS: list search recent posts

Athlon 64 and nVidia chipset?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
KentC
Athlon 64 and nVidia chipset?
on Oct 14, 2004 at 9:07:18 pm

I'm going to build a system soon. I'll use it as an all-around computer which will include some serious family video projects. I'm thinking of buying Pinnacle Liquid Edition.

I think Athlon 64s give far and away the best bang for the buck, especially now that AMD has released more processors for socket 939. The cpus are cheaper and the mother boards are cheaper for the same power (or even more)and functions using Pentiums.

I've read Videoguys recommendations for systems, including their warning about nVidia chipset mother boards. I'm curious about two things.

First, what are the real world experiences with an Athlon 64 from users here? Any problems or warnings?

Second, what exactly is the problem with the nVidia chipset? Are you saying that video software won't run on these machines or is just a complication with hardware? Right now A64 mother boards with nVidia chipsets are the best ones out there with VIA chipsets right behind them. Any problems with VIA?

Any comments are appreciated.

Return to posts index

KentC
Re: Athlon 64 and nVidia chipset?
on Oct 19, 2004 at 3:31:54 pm

For anyone who is interested Anandtech just published comparisons of the newest P4s and A64s http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2249.

There were several video editing and encoding benchmarks using Premiere. On some tests the P4s came out ontop but on many the A64s came out on top. The A64 still seems like a great choice for everything including video work.

Plus, the A64 motherboards had the new nVidia chipset. No chipset problems were reported in any testing.

I'd really like some elaboration from Videoguys about their warning to not use nVidia chipsets. What are the problems? Where are they documented? What are the conditions that create these problems?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]