FORUMS: list search recent posts

SVHS to MPG2 or AVI

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrewmuir
SVHS to MPG2 or AVI
on May 11, 2004 at 12:15:57 pm

I have some pristine SVHS tapes which I first want to archive digitally and then use them to edit to DVD. I have tried using my Sharp VHS player (which accepts and plays SVHS but has only standard audio video outlets) and rerecording on my Sony mini DV VCR, but there is a noticeable loss in luminance. I then capture via a PYRO 1394 to Adobe Premiere 6.5 and can increase the brightness but with now a noticeable loss in definition. What are my options?

Andrew

Return to posts index

D_
Re: SVHS to MPG2 or AVI
by
on May 11, 2004 at 12:24:15 pm

I have taken S-VHS tapes to a friend who has an S-VHS deck with S-VHS outputs and a Canopus breakout box with S-VHS inputs.

That seemed to work well. Is that an option for you?

Dylan

Return to posts index

andrewmuir
on May 11, 2004 at 4:19:08 pm

I actually have a Panasonic SVHS VCR which needs some cleaning but I see that I can take SVHS OUT and send it to my Sony GV-D900 mini DV VCR which happens to have an SVHS OUTPUT which also functions as an INPUT. When I have resuscitated the Panasonic {I'll need to clean the heads) that could solve the problem although it means recording to a DV tape and then capture to the computer.

I'm interested in the Canopus Breakout box. Would that give me a direct input to the computer? If so that would allow me to capture directly to the computer. But would I then have to to use the Canopus editor?

Andrew

Return to posts index

D_
by
on May 11, 2004 at 10:15:02 pm

This Canopus Product may be just what you are looking for ADVC300. or the ADVC100

Return to posts index

andrewmuir
on May 12, 2004 at 12:23:06 pm

Thanks D_ Absolutely made to measure. The Forum eally works well.

Again many thanks.

Andrew

Return to posts index

andrewmuir
on May 17, 2004 at 11:24:38 am

I'm happy to report that I have now solved this problem by inputting directly from a professional SVHS editing VCR with built-in TBC's (Panasonic 7750) using a standard SVHS connection into a mini DV VCR (Sony GV-D900) with no apparent loss of either luminance or defintion. Furthermore by editing (Adobe Premiere)the tapes that were Master tapes after editing (AB Roll on SVHS tape) I was easily able to remove those annoying flashes that are caused by occasional noise on one or two adjacent frames by simply deleting them and replacing them with good adjacent frames. Of course that doesn't work well if the error occurs in a pan or a zoom but even then a 'stutter' is better than a 'flash'!

Hope this information is useful to others who have libraries of excellent SVHS that needs archiving or editing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]