FORUMS: list search recent posts

Have the system, need configuration advice...

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
xkelly
Have the system, need configuration advice...
on Oct 4, 2004 at 3:47:39 pm

Okay, here's the deal. I've taken the plunge to upgrade (DIY) my old p3 system. I'm going out on a limb with my choice of MBs since it's the newer 915 tech from Intel that I haven't seen much discussion about. Here are the specs:

-Antec P160 case
-Antec NewPower 480w PSU
-Asus P5GDC-V Deluxe Motherboard
-Intel 540 LGA775 3.2 Ghz P4
-OCSystem 2GB kit dual channel PC3200 DDR 400
-Video Drives 2 Seagate Barracuda SATA 7200 200GB
-BenQ 16x DVD dual layer multiburner
-Creative Labs Audigy ZS Platinum
-Boot drive, either exisitng 60GB ATA100 or new 120GB SATA
-Windows paging drive, old 20GB 7200rpm ATA100

The motherboard uses the new Intel Extreme graphics, so I'm going to wait a bit before I invest in a PCI-E video card. Also, the 915 chipset is not on any of the tested systems on Matrox's website for the rt.x100. I kind of went backwards on this one-bought the system components before I thought about the Matrox card. Videoguys have a 30 day return policy for their bundles. I hope I won't need it.

Here's my main question... What is the best way to configure software and drives for an NLE system with Premiere Pro? I will be using an ATA 100 drive for boot. Probably a 60 I already have, or a 120 I might get. Both are 7200rpm. I was also planning to add an older 20GB ata100 drive on the second ide channel for windows paging. Then use the 2 x 200GB seagates for a SATA raid array for video. How does this sound?

Will having slower optical drives as slaves for either IDE channels slow down the primary hard drive?

Also, my boot drive is where I'll be installing most application, but should I consider putting my A/V applications (premier, audition, after effect, etc) somewhere else? In the video drive? Should I partition the video drive into smaller chunks for easy wiping between projects?

Thanks for your patiience on reading my jumble.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]