FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issues with iLink 1394 connectivity

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
obioneballi
Issues with iLink 1394 connectivity
on Sep 8, 2004 at 5:03:02 pm

Hello all

I have recently run into a problem that I thought was isolated to an electrical storm that knocked out some equipment, but I'm beginning to think it may be more than that. I have researched online in other forums and informational areas and see that the problem is quite common. There was an earlier post in this forum back in March but it didn't give me any additional help.

I have had some issues connecting and maintaining a connection with firewire devices. I have two external FW HDDs, 1 JVC MiniDV cam, 1 Canon XL1 MiniDV cam, 1 Sony Digital 8 VCR and a JVC MiniDV/VHS VCR.

Up until about 2 weeks ago I was able to swap anything with anything, no problem. We had a severe electrical storm, and suddenly I was getting write failures on the external HD's, as well as not even recognizing the VCRs or camcorders.

I have since rebuilt 2 systems, 1 from scratch and another replacing the motherboard and PSU. I am still having some issues with connectivity to cameras and VCRs using the NEW system - Let me provide some details:

ASUS P5AD2 Deluxe
P4 LGA755 3.4Ghz/800FSB
Asus Extreme AX300/TD Radeon X300 PCI Express 128MB DDR
Corsair DDR2-533 2GB (1GBx2)
WD Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB SATA 10k-RPM (OS)
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 6Y160M0 160GB Serial ATA 7200RPM

The 1394 is onboard, and like other users I don't seem to have an issue with the USB port.... The other system so far has accepted the Canon camera, but the new one just won't take any camera or VCR..

Running WinXP Pro with SP2... I never remember having issues like this with Win2K... Any thoughts?

PS: I recommend serious thought to liquid cooling if going with any Prescott core because this monster is running WAY too hot to be as productive as it should be (looking into the Koolance EXOS system now...)

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]