FORUMS: list search recent posts

Planned System - Looking for Suggestions

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
broberts
Planned System - Looking for Suggestions
on Sep 2, 2004 at 2:50:12 am

This will be the first (hopefully not the last) system I build. Looking for feedback on my selection (mostly based off the DIY article). I'll be running Liquid Edition (I use Liquid Silver at work so I'd like to stick to what I'm used to).

- ASUS P4C800-E DELUXE
- Intel Pentium4 3.00E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, HT
- Kingston 1GB PC3200 DDR DIMM Memory
- ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
- System Drive : Hitachi 160 gig S-ATA-150
- Video Drive : 2 of the same Hitachi
- Plextor 12X DVD+/-RW Drive
- Cheap Creative Labs sound card

I need some recommendations:

1. Any problems with the above specs?

2. CPU cooling fan. I'd like a good fan, but would also like it to be as quiet as possible. Any suggestions?

3. I want to use the system as a PVR (recording King of Queens!), and I'm thinking of the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350 with Beyond TV software. Any advice here?

4. I read somewhere that I need Thermal Paste (?). That leads me to ask if there's anything I'll need to assemble this computer that I wouldn't think of. I'd hate to get the parts together only to find out I need ________ (fill in the blank).

5. I would like to digitize some old VHS stuff. Could the WinTV card serve as a my capture card? If not, what would be the best capture card for this setup ($200-300 range).

Any help is much appreciated. I'll be sure to follow up on how it goes.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

wahoofilm
Re: Planned System - Looking for Suggestions
on Sep 2, 2004 at 3:42:24 am

Some CPU fans come with some sort of thermal gel already on there. But some people would rather put their own on. I don't know much more than that.

Good luck! I just finished building my first machine. The DIY article was a great resource for me as well.

-Brock

Return to posts index

rdwalt
on Sep 2, 2004 at 4:40:02 pm

You probably don't need 160 gig system drive (that's a lot of system). I went with 80 which is still way more than I'll ever need.

If you order the retail version of the P4 it comes with the CPU fan and you won't need thermal paste. It seems quiet enough to me but YMMV.

Have you thought about a floppy drive and/or a modem.

I thought I needed a few more optical drive screws but found some in a old cd-rw box.

With the S/PDIF output I didn't see a need for a soundcard.

I don't know about video capture. I'm actually trying to figure out why I can't record DV via firewire.

If you surf newegg.com you can get a lot of useful review/information there.

BTW Kevin James of King of Queens kills me.

Return to posts index

broberts
on Sep 2, 2004 at 5:02:37 pm

Thanks for the info! After about 12-15 combined hours of reading Internet articles, I'm actually looking forward to building my first system!

> BTW Kevin James of King of Queens kills me.
Yeah, I can watch reruns over and over, and never stop laughing!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]