FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unable to Record DV

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rdwalt
Unable to Record DV
on Aug 31, 2004 at 1:31:05 pm

I basically have the DIY Computer set-up. My video card is the only difference which is a Matrox 550. I have WinXP Pro SP1 only. I'm running the origional BIOS. The problem is my computer recognizes the DV Camcorder (JVC GR-D33) connected via Firewire using the built-in IEEE 1394 connector and I can operate the camcorder with the Windows Movie Maker or WinDVD Creator 2 software but I cannot see or hear a preview or if I save the recorded file it is empty. I've also tried using WinDV but still no video/audio.

I know there is no problem with the camcorder as I can see a preview and record a file on my other computer using Windows Movie Maker under WindowsME. Other than this one issue the computer runs fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: Unable to Record DV
on Sep 3, 2004 at 3:21:19 pm

Try moving the capture/ preview window from one monitor to the other. Some Matrox dual monitor cards only support video overlay on the left or right side (I can't remeber which).

gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

rdwalt
on Sep 20, 2004 at 6:51:34 pm

I only have one monitor. I was able to transfer one time previously but now cannot. I read today at http://www.camcorderinfo.com that "JVC finally told me there IEEE-1394 was designed to work with the TI Chip." Apparently the ASUS motherboard uses the RealTek chip which may be a problem. I also read that I should have the camcorder on and AC plugged in (not battery) before I plug the firewire in. I haven't tried that yet but will tonight and repost tomorrow.

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Sep 22, 2004 at 3:29:29 am

RDwalt,

I am no expert, but I have had trouble with other 1394 boards. It seems that not all 1394 boards are created equally. Video is especially demanding and apparently there is a lot that can go wrong. However, Your setup seems like it should run just fine. Running off battery power vs. AC power should not change the operation of the DV output...

With that in mind, I would suggest that you try your setup with an ADS Pyro 1394 board and see if your problems go away. I would be willing to bet that they do!

Good Luck!

Dylan

Return to posts index

rdwalt
Success!!! Problem Solved.
on Sep 22, 2004 at 3:05:51 pm

Dylan,
Thanks for the input. You are in fact correct. After much, much research (videohelp.com, camcorderinfo.com) I have discovered what you have stated, that not all 1394 boards are created euqal.

The basic problem is the IEEE1394 port on the JVC miniDV camcorders are designed to work with the TI chipset built into the IEEE1394 PCI capture cards. I've been told the ASUS motherboards use the RealTek chip-set for their onboard firewire. Once I installed a card with the TI chip-set the problem was solved. The card I used was the adaptec fireconnect 4300 which does in fact have the TI chip-set.

I just wish the "Videoguys" had discovered this and made note of it in their DYI Article which I followed closely. I've lost many, many hours trying to solve this problem and hopefully my frustrating experience can now serve to help others with similar problems and while it's too late for my benefit it's not too late for the Videoguys to post this "warning" for others.

Return to posts index

D_
Re: Success!!! Problem Solved.
by
on Sep 22, 2004 at 11:03:48 pm

Good advice to pass on to others. Probably worth adding a note to the DIY project!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]