FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual Processor System

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
russelbrown
Dual Processor System
on Aug 31, 2004 at 8:25:29 am

Any idea when your dual processor system challenge will be published?

Return to posts index

cglaguna
Re: Dual Processor System
on Sep 9, 2004 at 11:43:12 pm

I am waiting too. They said late August and it can't get much later in August than now. I have my Studio Complete Equipment sitting in boxes waiting for this article to come out. I hope it is soon.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Sep 10, 2004 at 4:01:32 am

Our Dual processor system got delayed - we did a major server upgrade internally. Jon is our top IT guy, so that took up a couple of weeks of his time. Then Jon set up the new Videoguys Blog http://www.videoguys.com/blog

He's back on the dual processor machine and we hope to get it done by month end.

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

LARUE
on Oct 9, 2004 at 9:51:15 pm

I've not looked into it deeply, but it seems tougher to DIY a Dual-Proc PC and have it price out less than a Dell or HP Dual System.

I hope you guys prove me wrong!

If so I may upgrade the Avid I bought from you to the Studio version.

Could you also also write an article on "Ways to keep your Wife from seeing the Visa Bill"?

:^>

Return to posts index

cglaguna
on Oct 27, 2004 at 9:05:55 pm

Well, August>September>October>Soon Nov

I guess I am going to give up on the Dual Processor DIY promise. I have just priced a Dell 670 Dual 3.0 for $4000 with 2 Gigs Ram and 20 inch monitor.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Oct 29, 2004 at 2:37:18 am

Here is the update on our dual processor situation. I have not been able to find a motherbvoard that delivers what we are looking for. Here is the main sticking point:

PCIe - PCI Express
This is the new high speed bus that is going to replace PCI and AGP. PCI bus bottlenecks are our biggest enemy for NLE, and this new technology looks like it's going to be very im,portant for NLE. Already Liquid Edition 6 can take advantage of the increased bandwidth, and soon so will other apps.

We have found a small handful of Dual Xeon mobos that also support PCIe. Unfortunately our research hasn't tunred up good reviews for them. In fact, most are dissapointed in their performance. As a result our dual processor project is stalled again. I apologize for these delays, but we don;'t want to put a system out there, then have folks start building them, only to find out we are switching to newer technology a few weeks later. If and when we find a dual Xeon mobo that fits our wish lkist, we will jump on it and build it.

So what are we doing in the interim? Building a single processor hotrod based on the Intel 925x chipset. This machine will become my new home editing system, and I'm hoping to have the parts ordered early next week. The budget for this system is $2,000. We're going to load it up with a PCIe graphics card, at least 1.5 GB or RAM, and an SATA RAID for the video storage.

If yo follow this link to the Videoguys Blog http://www.videoguys.com/blog/index.php?cat=4 You can read the on line articles and reviews we've been using to pick our key components.

Once again, sorry for the delay here. We just felt that it was better to hold off, than to post a system that we knew would be old technology and not cutting edge.

Gary

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

monkeymoviemakerman
on Nov 10, 2004 at 4:41:41 pm

I may be able to help, I noticed you had asked for pepole with experience building a dual processor NLE. Well about two months ago I finished work on our new company's editor. I work as primary video support for a state agency supporting the state legislature. Since our existing editing equipment was outdated I was given permission earlier this summer to purchase a new editing rig, anything I wanted, but it had to be under $5000 including editing software. I looked for pre-built solutions but they all seemed to start at $5000 without software and I wanted a real powerhouse, a machine I wouldn't have to worry about updating or replacing for several years (It's not easy to get money out of a state with a huge budget deficit). So I started looking at building my own editor from scratch. I immediately found I could build a great machine for a fraction of the price. Here are the final specs I came up with:

Dual 2.8Ghz Xenon processors
Intel SE7505VB2 motherboard
Intel SC5250-E SSI EEB 3.0 Tower case (black)
2X Kingston 1GB DDR PC2100ram
1X Maxtor 80GB Drive (system and storage drive partitioned)
2X Maxtor 160GB SATA drives (raid 0, work drive)
Pioneer DVR-A07DVD +- 8X burner
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Creative Labs Audigy2ZS soundcard
Logitech x-220 3 piece speaker system
Canopus DVStorm2 Pro +

The total price at the time came to just slightly over $4000 including delivery. (Everything was purchased from zip zoom fly except the Canopus sytem wich was purchased through this site)

I Chose canopus and Adobe Premiere Pro over Avid simply because of the cost, with the canopus setup you get the hardware and all the software for $1500, If I wanted a similar product with avid I would have spent much much more. Premiere pro has it's foibles but I'm getting the hang of them and I'm actually getting to like it.

I should mention I just used regular 17inch monitors that we had in house and a plain PS2 microsoft scroll mouse. The keyboard came with the canopus system. We also have an enterprise agreement with Microsoft so XP pro was free as far as I was concerned for this project.

The hardware went together in about 4, maybe 4 1/2 hours. I installed XP (fastest xp install I've ever done) and the editing software the next day, as well as running tweaks.

To this date, over two months later, I have had almost no problems with the machine (there is a funky problem with After Effects but I think an un-install and re-install will fix that). I ran though the XP tweaks parts one and two and selected the relavant settings. My captures go perfectly smoothly, my editing has never once bogged down, even when editing 40GB worth of video at once, and my render time is quite accecptable even for long complex renders. All in all I would I would say I'm pretty pleased with myself.

The only complaint I have, and it's minor, is that it takes the bios about 5 minutes to count up the 2GB of physical ram, I know it's a good problem to have but I thought I'd mention it. And one other thing, the case fan on that machine is LOUD, I had to move my editing station far away from civilization to avoid bothering the normals.

If anyone has any questions feel free to post them, I hope I have helped some of you out there. My next project will be building an NLE for my home use but that will just be a boring single processor P4 build. Best of luck on your builds.

Return to posts index

Tilford Bartman
on Jan 26, 2005 at 6:57:22 pm

Hi,

I am currently running LE6 Pro very nicely on the following dual processor system. So far I've spent about 12 hours in LE 6 Pro and it hasn't crashed once. Everything that I've had difficulty doing (I'm a longtime Premiere user) or at first couldn't do it's been because of my unfamiliarity with the program and that fact that it's a somewhat high learning curve. So far everything I've tried in the program works once I've figured it out.

Asus NCT-D
Dual Xeon 800 FSB 3.2 GHz 1M
Ram: Kingston DDR2 400 REG ECC 4 x 512mb
Case Lian-Li PC61 Mid-Tower Black
System Drive: Western Digital SATA Raptor 74GB
Video Drive: Seagate SATA 300GB
Video Card: ATI PCI-E Radeon X700 256MB
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Live Audigy2
DVD burner: Lite On 16X Dual Layer DVD+RW/-RW
Mitsumi Floppy 7 in 1 Card reader Black
Thermaltake LED Fan and temperature monitor
Operating System Windows XP Pro
Monitor: Dell 20.1 LCD widescreen 12ns response time
Speakers: Logitec
Video: Panasonic AGC DVC30 3 CCD
Digital Camera: Nikon D70
Printer: Canon 960
Scanner: Epson 1240
Toshiba 13inch video monitor

Software:

LE 6 Pro
Photoshop CS with various plugins
Dreamweaver
Sound Forge 7.0
Macromedia Flash 7.0
Nero Burning Rom 6.6
Netscape 7.2
Mac Affee Virus Scan Professional
Diskeeper
Partition Magic 8.0

Return to posts index

captainamerica77
I have given up
on Feb 19, 2005 at 8:19:28 am

well I have been waiting since august for your DIY on a dual cpu system, I have come to the thought that it is maybe a bit out of your reach who knows. I was really hoping to read it before I went ahead and did it myself.

been 6 months of waiting.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: I have given up
on Feb 20, 2005 at 5:10:36 am

Don't give up on us! Our dual processor system was delayed because I wanted dual Xeons and PCIe bus. I fdeel very strongly that the new PCIe bus will become very important for HDV & HD editing.

Motherboards with this technology have just started shipping, but availability is an issue. We had to wait 2 weeks for our ASUS mobo to arrive. It did on Friday. We satart building next week. I hope to have the DIY3 article up and posted in a couple of weeks.

Gary

Return to posts index

jmkraft
Re: Dual Xeon
on Feb 22, 2005 at 2:45:06 am

I have been using a standard Dell 1600SC with the following:

Win-XP-Pro
Dual Xeon 2.8's
512 Ram
Lite-on DVD burner
Matrox G450 PCI Dual Head Video
Extigy USB Sound
Flash MX