FORUMS: list search recent posts

Win2kPro-120GB drive is lost????

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
captaincrunch
Win2kPro-120GB drive is lost????
on Aug 17, 2004 at 9:21:33 pm

I'm trying to install a new 120gb drive. My computer (P4/2.26/1g) see's the drive in both CMOS and My Computer/Device Manager . . .
But, it will not give it a drive letter!

Trouble shooter says for more than 2 IDE drive to read the Knowledge Base article . . . WHAT ARTICLE?? I can't find anything about this!!!!!

Does anyone else have more than 2 IDE drives????

I have the new drive as Secondary Master with a DVD Burner as Secondary Slave . . . is this right? My C and D drives are Primary Master/Slave.

Send Help, (and a bag of $100 bills), thank you

Return to posts index

D_
Re: Win2kPro-120GB drive is lost????
by
on Aug 18, 2004 at 2:09:04 am

You must create a partition in order for the drive to get a letter.

Click Start, Programs, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Storage, Disk Management.

See the Microsoft Support Article 308209

or click this link

Do not format the disk. It should already be formatted.

The link above will give you the following instructions:

Create a New Partition or Logical Drive
To create a new partition or logical drive:
In the Disk Management window, do one of the following:
Right-click unallocated space on the basic disk where you want to create the partition, and then click Create Partition.

-or-
Right-click free space on an extended partition where you want to create the logical drive, and then click Create Logical Drive.
On the Welcome to the Create Partition Wizard page, click Next.
On the Select Partition Type page, click the type of partition that you want to create, and then click Next.
On the Specify Partition Size page, specify the size in megabytes (MB) of the partition that you want to create, and then click Next.
On the Assign Drive Letter or Path page, enter a drive letter or drive path, and then click Next.
On the Format Partition page, specify the formatting options that you want, and then click Next.
On the Completing the Create Partition Wizard page, verify that the options that you selected are correct, and then click Finish.

Return to posts index

captaincrunch
on Aug 18, 2004 at 11:59:14 am

Thanks,
I fooled around last night late and found the Admin/Disk Management area and the only option I found was to create a "dynamic" disk, so I did, and formated it (well, it asked . . .).

Is this OK? or is it better to have a partitioned disk?

Return to posts index

D_
by
on Aug 18, 2004 at 1:19:12 pm

Partition is better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]